Is this just a broken LCD?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jeffthinks, Sep 21, 2009.

1. jeffthinks macrumors newbie

I replaced my glass and digitizer screen, but in doing so missed a hidden screw when taking off the LCD and guess I broke it while trying to get it out with the screw in.

It turns on and operates. I can use the touch screen and I received a call and voicemail and was notified ( didnt try to answer it, was sleeping). I've used pandora (remembered where the app was located and pressed and hoped) so the phone functions but the screen has marks where I guess I touched the LCD after breaking it (smudges that are still there when its off). They appeared when I touched it for a second after taking it off originally. I tried to repeat the smudges hours later after taking it apart to check the ribbons but did not happen. The rest of the screen is split into a fwe different sections and looks all crazy (lines and different colors like some looks like white static and other like rainbow bars and so on). I can kinda make out when the screen changes up top, but I can't see anywhere on the screen where the actual picture that should appear is. I can make out swipes sometimes by just the funny lines moving. Able to turn off and on.

This is just the LCD right? swapping that should work? this time without forcing it or touching the screen?

Any help appreciated.

2. ed724 macrumors regular

touching the screen should not break it, unless there is a fair amount of pressure applied. If you can be sure the ribbon cables are good and connections are good, then it probably is a broken LCD.