Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mloffa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
Okay I just noticed something today and I can't remember if it was the same in snow leopard and such but lets say you want to type the same letter a bunch of times, you'd press and hold - right? Well it doesn't work. Is that only on PC's? I honestly can't remember if that worked on SL. I know it's kind of silly but I like to do that sometimes in photoshop for whatever reason and just realized it didn't work.

:eek:

mloffa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
Yeah, I'm not really liking that feature too much. Not a huge deal, though.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
It does too work, just hold a little longer.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Just typed that by holding down the "a" key, and I'm running Lion.

mloffa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
After about 30 seconds, I realized you weren't serious. ;):D

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Okay I just noticed something today and I can't remember if it was the same in snow leopard and such but lets say you want to type the same letter a bunch of times, you'd press and hold - right? Well it doesn't work. Is that only on PC's? I honestly can't remember if that worked on SL. I know it's kind of silly but I like to do that sometimes in photoshop for whatever reason and just realized it didn't work.

:eek:

Yes it's true, the folks at Apple seem to think that either everyone is working on an iPad or that everyone would rather be working on an iPad. Mac OS is become a tablet OS piece by piece.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I like to do that sometimes in photoshop for whatever reason and just realized it didn't work.

Type a letter, hold down Shift, press ←, release Shift, press ⌘-C, hold down ⌘-V, release whenever.

Mac OS is become a tablet OS piece by piece

*yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn*
icon_yawn.gif

Last edited:

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I'm amused by all the people complaining along with the OP. The issue the OP is experiencing is due to one of 3 possible things: an issue specific to the OP's set up the Mac, a setting in System Preferences preventing repeat, or a lack of patience on the OP's end.

It does work just fine, both in Photoshop and out of it. Don't know what the big deal is.

blastoboy1000

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
If you want to disable it, you can run this terminal command:
Code:
defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false

switch false to true to re-enable the accent picker thing.

podsorcerer09

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Yes it's true, the folks at Apple seem to think that either everyone is working on an iPad or that everyone would rather be working on an iPad. Mac OS is become a tablet OS piece by piece.

Or it's possible that the folks at Apple don't see the need for over-repeated characters. Seriously the only people who type like that are 10 year old girls that add extra "y"s onto the ends of words. People continue to complain about the "loss" of this "feature" but I don't quite understand where you would use it. That being said it's likely that some people might want to view alternative characters without opening up the character picker window.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm amused by all the people complaining along with the OP. The issue the OP is experiencing is due to one of 3 possible things: an issue specific to the OP's set up the Mac, a setting in System Preferences preventing repeat, or a lack of patience on the OP's end.
Non repeating keys are the default behavior of Lion.

Or it's possible that the folks at Apple don't see the need for over-repeated characters. Seriously the only people who type like that are 10 year old girls that add extra "y"s onto the ends of words. People continue to complain about the "loss" of this "feature" but I don't quite understand where you would use it. That being said it's likely that some people might want to view alternative characters without opening up the character picker window.
No kidding. Personally I think it's about time there is an easy way to get alternate accents without having to remember the option+key combo nonsense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.