Is this kind of program possible? (Camera Viewer)

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by MauiGideon, Sep 5, 2008.

1. MauiGideon macrumors regular

Hi so im new here...

Basically what I need help with is this. One of my friends just called the other day asking if I could create a security viewer program with the iphone. What he wants to do is... Be able to click the application and it will open up and let him view all the cameras and have maybe a few options like zoom. Is this kind of program viable? Or do I need to get more info from him.

The cameras they use have an IP address. So if I wanted to see them basically type in ip address and log in. But he wants this to happen all in the app instead of the web browser

Thanks, any help is appreciated!

2. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

3. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

i don't see why not, only problem is the video will be very choppy, but very easy to do it

4. MauiGideon thread starter macrumors regular

So you say video will be choppy why? Is it because the 3G network? I think he was just planning 2 use it around WIFI for work. Or are u saying it will be choppy because the app or something?

5. jolla macrumors member

If it is not 100% live, but with a small buffer, it will be OK (youtube video works too right?) - it will highly depend on connection speed tho.

6. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

7. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

both, the wifi and then the app unless it makes the app exit into qucktime, but that is annoying if you have many cameras

8. Brendan.Porter macrumors member

Couldn't you just use a Web-View in Interface Builder and pass the URL to it if it is IP based?