is this laptop future proof?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by phospholipid1, Mar 4, 2015.

1. phospholipid1 macrumors member

rMBP 13"
    i5 2.8ghz turbo boost 3.3ghz
    500gb pci-e flash storage
    16gb ddr3 ram
    intel iris graphics

I'm planning to buy this and use it as my main comptuer for a good 4-5 years. My main use for it is programming in Java and python, as well as dual booting windows for c++. A lot of my programming works involves a lot of data.

Would this computer be good enough? I have two external 1080p moitors I will use with it also, and I enjoy the portability of the 13".

I want this to last about 5-6 years - is this achievable? Should I go for the 15" instead? I don't care about gaming, or photoshop or anything like that, just programming and watching movies.

2. mfram macrumors 65816

"Future proof"? Of course not. Computers go obsolete as technology marchces on. That will continue to happen.

The biggest thing that's coming up next I'm waiting on is external display technology changes. The current protocols (DisplayPort, etc) haven't kept up with the rapid changes in dislpay technology that have allowed 4K all the way up to 8K dislpays. The current machines can't do those resolutions perfectly. I suspect the standards will improve over the next couple of years. I will get a new machine when I can run a 5K external monitor @ 60Hz with one cable coming out of my computer.

Other than that, you shouldn't have major problems.

BTW, you can do C, C++, and Objective-C just fine on Macs as soon as you install XCode. You won't need to go to Windows unless you really can't live without Visual Studio. Here's your chance to try the Mac development environment!