Is this legal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sioannou, Jun 29, 2012.

1. sioannou macrumors member

sioannou

Hi folks,

I am just wondering about one thing if anyone knows. In my country there are not official apple stores. We are basically just getting apple products from authorized resellers.

Despite I am not in the market for a mac currently I like to search and get informed about things. What I've noticed is that usually after a new product release from Apple these shops delay to update their stock to the new models. They sell the old computers at the same price without any discount or at least a warning for at least 2-3 weeks after Apple updates it's stock.

Am i wondering, is this legal?

2. Morien macrumors member

Of course it's legal. Bad business practice, but legal. Unfortunate for you, but if ever a competitor comes into the market and sells the latest models on time, and the old models at discounted rates, then they'd corner the market.

3. sioannou thread starter macrumors member

sioannou

Don't know about economic policies, however I think, that if they buy the old products from apple at discounted price(because of the update) and they sell them at the same price. This is not illegal?

4. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Of course not. There's no law against marking up the price- at least, in most countries.

5. Drask macrumors regular

Nope, it's not illegal, you can sell whatever you want at whatever price you like, it's not like you're stealing. It could be against apple's resellers policy though but I doubt it.

6. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Not sure why that would be illegal. If it were illegal, it would only be illegal because of local laws. But around here, that would just be considered capitalism. :)

How do you measure the value of something? By what people are willing to pay for it. If it's illegal to sell something for higher than what you bought it for, then how could you ever make a profit and sustain a business? Also, things don't just go down in value...some things go up in value. A law like what you suggest would make it impossible to barter, and impossible for things to do anything but depreciate.

Perhaps what you mean to ask is whether it would be a breach of contract. If it is an Apple Authorized Reseller, presumably there is something in the contract between them and Apple about what prices they are allowed to charge. But if they ignore those requirements, they aren't breaking laws, they are just breaking their contract with Apple. Breaking a contract isn't illegal, but it could have civil penalties attached if Apple successfully sued them.

The first responder had it right: it's probably not illegal, even where you're from...it's just bad business. The resellers are paving the way for someone with more business savvy to come in and steal the local Mac reseller market away from them.

-- Nathan

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Legal.

They can put whatever price they want on the computers. Its competition that drives prices down.

8. leenak macrumors 68020

Legality depends on the country so you'd have to ask someone familiar with the law in your country, not macrumors.

I can't imagine why it would be illegal in any country though.

9. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

I believe it is highly illegal to sell slightly outdated computers. They could face the death penalty if caught.

10. AlanFord macrumors regular

Legal, and I have the same problem like you.
    Plus, prices are way high then in Europe in Apple stores. Products are always late, ok now they get a lit sooner but still.
    Even, there are no same conditions like in one with Apple stores, like Apple care. (thats why I hate apple one year policy, cause dont have the proper option for extension) and ect ect.
    We cant do nothing, only hope that one day official store will come, or to buy abroad.
    I really love Apple, love my mbp but think I have to switch it back.
    Last month my hard disc died, and I had to wait for almost three weeks that they change it. Customer service just suck. Dont know what standards Apple have for resellers but here is very bad.

11. leenak macrumors 68020

This is way off topic and I am not normally the grammar police but I'm guessing english isn't your first language (Cro being Croatia?). I have a lot of respect for those that understand/speak/write multiple languages so I admire you for that.

Can't do nothing is a double negative, which would really mean the opposite of what you are saying.

"There is nothing we can do"
    or
    "We can't do anything"

Would be the message you are trying to convey :)

12. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

That's called price fixing and it's illegal in the US. And if it's illegal in the US, then it's probably illegal wherever you are.

Stores can charge whatever they want for any products they want.

13. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

You might want to check the definition of Price Fixing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_fixing

In the OP's post, it states nothing about stores all agreeing to sell old products without a discount. Most likely, where he lives they can't get the newest models right away (especially since he stated there are no Apple Stores where he lives). So they sell the products they have on hand at the MSRP for when they bought them.

14. AlanFord macrumors regular

Thank you for your advice :)
    Yes, I am from Croatia, so english is not my first language. I can read and understand perfectly just sometimes writing and grammar is a bit difficult.
    The problem is that our grammar is a bit different so I have to switch "thinking", and when you dont have that much opportunity to practice with native english/us errors happen.
    I learned German as well in school, and privately Spanish and now Italian. Would love French too :)
    Thx again.

15. leman macrumors 604

Well, they could get into trouble if they still advertise them as newest models. But besides that, there is no ruling agains selling items higher than the competition.

16. nativetongue03 macrumors member

The store owner can sell what they want when they want as long as the product itself is not illegal.

These resellers typically pay for thir inventory so its their right to want to move the old one before they bring in the new ones.

17. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I misread the post I quoted as the retailer having to sell the older models at the same discount Apple does. That would be a form of price fixing where both Apple and the retailer are colluding to sell at the same price.

18. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I know nothing about the laws in your country. Have you looked into it at all? Don't rely on the legal experts at MacRumors.

19. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov