Is this legal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ksukhin, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ksukhin macrumors member

I own a 15" rMBP (late 2013) model, while waiting for it to come back from the Genius Bar, I decided to buy myself the top model rMBP that's out right now. I got my original laptop back and I'm going to return the one I bought.

HYPOTHETICALLY:

a) What if I return the old rMPB?
    They look identical on the outside, internally they're different. I'm assuming Apple will be able to track me down based on serial number and credit card used and ask for the newer laptop back.

b) What if I have bought my both rMBP with cash and returned the old one after wiping the drive? Will Apple have any way of tracking me down?
    technically there's no paper trail as long as I wipe my drive, I don't see any other way for them to track me down.

Again this is all hypothetical, my friends and I were discussing this and we came to a conclusion that a) wouldn't work while b) would.

What do you guys think?

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

In any event, they would have a record of the purchase of a machine with the serial number of your 2013 one and would know that that purchase occurred more than 14 days ago... It wouldn't work.

3. yukari macrumors regular

You are kidding right?
    That's called scamming and it's illegal.

If you have to ask, you already know it's not legal.

4. NicCPH macrumors newbie

They will track you down. When they find out they will activate the secret tracking device inside your computer and hunt you down.

5. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

6. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

Putting "hypothetically" in your post doesn't make us stupid. :rolleyes:

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

As mentioned this doesn't work because the serial number won't fit.
    Merely whipping the drive does not change that.

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

c) Apple spot the serial number doesnt match right at the point you try and return it. No funds or cash get issued as the return isnt processed.

9. chrfr macrumors 603

This is a crime, and likely a felony which means you'd possibly go to jail when Apple figures out what you've done.
    You will have to provide identifying details when returning the computer, regardless of whether it was bought with cash or not, so you will be caught.

10. ksukhin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies, as mentioned earlier I'm not planning on doing this. Therefore the "hypothetically" in big bold letters. I'm only curious, I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought of this or worse, actually attempted it.

11. chrfr macrumors 603

When the computer is returned, you must present identification. This is specifically to prevent the scam you are discussing, as well as to provide tracking if that computer is later determined to be damaged, stolen, etc.

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I would expect them to check the SN and confirm the original contents are present.

13. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

I don't believe you. You're not planning to do this, but you bought a new MBP while waiting for yours to come back from the Genius Bar and now want to return it?

14. ksukhin thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I was estimated a 2wk wait period before I got my laptop back. As a student who's taking Spring/Summer courses I need a laptop. Therefore I bought one for the time until I got my laptop back.

15. PaulWog Suspended

You're abusing their return policies and thinking about ways to commit fraud... The world doesn't need more people who do that kind of stuff.

16. leman macrumors 604

They will surely check the serial number when you return it. So unless you are very lucky, you'd most likely end up at the police station with scam charges.

But I dare you to try. You can give us a report back after you have been released :D

17. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

I'll return my PowerBook to help pay for his bail.

18. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

It might work if you bought it at best buy, but I doubt it would work at an Apple store. Not really sure why you would ask thus question as its completely ilegal.

19. recurrence macrumors member

That's fraud and there's good reason our society has made it a crime.

20. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

In portuguese, "legal" has at least two senses:

1. Legal: legitimate, licit
    2. Legal: nice, cool

At best your hypothesis is legal (2), but definitely not legal (1).

21. Rufuss Sewell macrumors 6502

It's actually called "return fraud".

Most stores have cameras in the parking lot and get your license plate number so that the police can track you down and arrest you if you try to return something fraudulently.

22. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

That I did. No clue how that happened. lmao!

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Stick a fork in, this discussion is over. Clearly the OP's actions represent a fraudulent action if he decided to undertake them. Closing the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.