is this legal?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by stealthsniper96, Feb 5, 2008.

1. stealthsniper96 macrumors regular

if i buy software using a student discount, andthen re-sell it for something close to the retail price, is it legal?

2. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I tried to do that with MatLab (selling it as a student version) but it got pulled from eBay, it was a genuine mistake.

I doubt that you can, there will be something in the EULA that state you can't but I have never gone through one with a fine tooth-comb to be 100% sure.

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

no its not illiegal it just invalidates your eula

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Technically it is a violation of the contract you "sign" when you buy the software. Almost all EDU priced software has an extra contract that goes with it, and it essentially states that you won't resell your copy to others.

5. stealthsniper96 thread starter macrumors regular

dam. it just sounded like such a good way to make a grand i knew there was something wrong. thx anyway.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

As Calboy says, the act itself is not illegal although it is breach of contract which is illegal.

7. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

ebay doesn't take risks on that point. If they get a complaint about an item they just pull it away. They should check it a little more.

8. blairwillis macrumors regular

I tried to eBay my legit copy of OS X Server (uninstalled, original full retail software w/original cds, etc. etc.) and they pulled it. It wasn't worth going through the ridiculous process of approval to relist the item, even though I knew it was within my legal right to resell. I even quoted them the applicable portion of the EULA that stated I was permitted to make a one time transfer, etc.. They just don't have the time to deal with individual cases and choose to go the safe route and pull anything disputed. Such a bummer that eBay has become the monolith of online sales and every year keeps getting worse and worse (imo) in terms of quality and safety. I've been on eBay since the late 90's and a few months ago got my first bad deal... bought something and the seller never delivered, trying a classic bait and switch because the item "wasn't available" however I finally got a refund. Just this week I listed a MacBook Pro and I've gotten a handful of third-world morons trying to scam me via international sales, despite the listing clearly stating US delivery only. I'm getting fed up with eBay.

On a positive note, I used craigslist for the first time last week to post a classified ad for a boat. I sold it today, locally, in person, no problem. I wasn't planning on dealing with the eBay BS for something like that (it's not easy to "ship" a boat) but it got me appreciating the quality of a local transaction. Plus, there is the community aspect of it, too. I made a new friend and will likely see them out on the water in my old boat. Alas, I miss it already. :(

9. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Rule of Thumb:

If you have to ask if it's illegal, than it's more than likely illegal.