Is this legal?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iGrant, Jan 11, 2010.

1. iGrant macrumors 6502a

Hey Guys,

I'm looking into get a copy of Microsoft Office 2008 for my Macbook Air, YES I know use Open Office, but because of work requirements, I need a copy of Office.

Trust me wish I didn't have to get it but I do. I found this one ebay, and is what this seller doing legal?

MS Office MAC 2008 Get in time for taxes Free SHIPPING

I don't think it is. I want ya'lls opinions.

Thanks
    iGrant

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

edit: no, I don't think it's legal. He is duplicating software and even with a legit key he's still duplicating software. I don't think it's 100% legal.

And btw, there's no need to defend what you use. Office is a legit application for the majority of business people who work for corporations.

3. iGrant thread starter macrumors 6502a

The seller is selling copies of windows software from a volume license. I thought volume license had expirations?

Thanks
    iGrant

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I wouldn't buy from someone with <100 ratings, but nothing seems to be illegal.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Call MS. I mean, if it's that important then call MS.

6. iGrant thread starter macrumors 6502a

I took a look at the feedback, it was because the disc didn't have the offical hologram on them, even though the auction description stated that, so I didn't count those negative feedbacks.

-iGrant

Good point, I didn't even think about doing that . . .

-iGrant

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you truly want to go legit then it should not be a problem for you to call them and ask. I've done with with Adobe and AutoDesk before.

8. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

No, they don't. Volume licenses are not leased or rented - you buy a real and unlimited license, only at a volume discount.

"Software Assurance" has an expiration date, but that only means that you won't get any FREE upgrades to newer versions after the expiration date -- it does not invalidate your license.

It's almost something rare that he even has an official Microsoft installation medium -- Volume Licenses are usually distributed via download only. You don't even get a printed license key anymore from Microsoft or anything else in paper form. It's now all electronic delivery ONLY. (At least here in Germany.)

9. snberk103 macrumors 603

I note that he doesn't use the word "legal" in his description. Also that he offers a guarantee, but it is backed by a "failed business".

I'm making an assumption, but if he was selling volume licences on PCs that he sold, he would have needed to pay MS for each licence he sold (even if it was a small amount due to volume discounting.) I don't see MS selling a volume licence to someone at a set rate, and then allowing them to sell as many licences as they can. Also, MS licences are often tied to the hardware that was sold as part of the package. He's not selling hardware anymore, so he may be violating his volume licence agreement with MS.

If the seller isn't remitting the licence fees to MS (or is violating his agreement with them), then at some point they will revoke the licence key. You may only be "renting" the software if this is the case, until MS picks up on it.

But as others have said, check with MS.

10. nadyne macrumors 6502a

I can't say this for certain, but based on reading the item description, I don't think that he's describing something legitimate. Here's what he says he's doing: "Please understand you are buying software that was downloaded from Microsoft Volume License and burnt to a dvd's, it was then labeled and sealed."

Volume licenses are sold to companies and universities for use within those companies/universities. Many companies take part in the Home Use Program, which also allows for employees/faculty/students to purchase our applications for a reduced rate for personal use. In either case, you have to be working for (or a student at) the company/university to be able to take part in it.

Frankly, the whole description is pretty weird. He's quoting a bunch of stuff from Windows Office (such as anything about the "Fluent user interface", which is the official name for the Office for Windows Ribbon). All of his descriptions of the apps are for the Windows Office 2007 apps taken from elsewhere, not the Office:Mac 2008 apps. The description also quotes from a Mac Mojo blog post from February 2008 about the file format converter for Office 2004, which is irrelevant to Office 2008. Plus he types MAC instead of Mac, which always just annoys me. :) Even leaving aside the legality of what he's describing, getting so much of his description wrong doesn't make me feel like this is the most reputable of sellers.

There are plenty of reputable sellers out there (including the Apple Store and Amazon) that are happy to sell you legal copies of Office 2008. You're going to pay more than $75 for it, but it's going to be an actual legal copy of the suite.

Regards,
    Nadyne.