Is this Legit? New Email Scams? Phishing Scam?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by djgoldengorilla, Jun 7, 2012.

1. djgoldengorilla macrumors newbie

I just received this a while ago. Caught it in my spam folder but it looks fishy so i thought i might ask you guys first and if its not warn people about it.

Says...

"Apple is rewarding its long-term customers. Your loyalty for our products made you eligible for taking part in our Apple Feedback survey. In return you will be eligible for buying an Apple Discount Card. With this only $10 Discount Card you will have $115 credit at any Apple Store or on store.apple.com

To acquire your Apple Discount Card please fill out the survey form attached to your email.

You will receive your Apple Discount Card by mail in the following 4 working days after your payment has been made.

Please spare two minutes of your time and take part in our Apple Feedback survey so we can improve our services. Don't miss this chance to change something. "

I guess it's a scam but i just wanted to put this out there for others.
    Thanks
    DjGoldenGorilla

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

always check email address & I believe there are no "Discount Card" by Apple.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Who cares what address it came from, this is a scam, plain and simple. Looks like a 12 year old wrote the copy.

5. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Paying for a "discount card?" That's a first. Well, you know what they say, "If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...":rolleyes: Bye-bye $10. Keep an eye on the CC bill for any unknown charges.

Also, if the "survey" asks for an info more personal than name and address... Hello Mr. Rainbow Trout.

6. snberk103, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

snberk103 macrumors 603

I'd say scam too.... buy a "discount card"? For real? For doing a survey? No way.

However ... it seems you may be part of a very new scam campaign. One of the 1st things I do when I see a text like this is simply copy the 1st paragraph into Google... that is if I'm curious.

Your email only had one hit on Google just now, from today, and also from someone who assumed it was a scam but wanted to double-check. That post is on the Apple Communities site. Do you have 2nd identity there? Perhaps that was you too? If so... you'd be the very 1st to get this email, perhaps....

luck...

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This. Anyone falling for this needs to speak to my buddy in Nigeria.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed this is a scam.

9. snberk103 macrumors 603

What always amazes me how little effort the people who create these scams seem to spend on 'polishing' their pitch. How hard would it be to induct into the gang someone who has something more than grade 8, for example? I didn't see the email itself so it's hard to tell how much it visually resembled an official Apple message. But with so many grammatical errors, it should twig anyone with more than a grade 8 education (assuming english as a 1st language, of course).

Imagine how successful this message would have been (for the crooks) if the text had been, you know, correct?