Is this lightscribe drive mac compatible?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Policar, May 11, 2010.

1. Policar macrumors 6502a

2. GMink macrumors regular

GMink

I think you can use any SATA dirve without issues. I installed a LG and Samsung SATA drives in my 2006 mac pro (using ODD SATA ports) and both worked without problems.

If the drive does not come with Lightscribe software it is a fee download just google Lightscirbe software.

3. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I use LaCie's software (use the Labeling software ONLY - don't use their firmware updates, etc) for my Lightscribe drive, and it works pretty well. I remember having some difficulties with the software from Lightscribe.com, but I don't remember if that was on my Mac or Linux box.

I can't confirm that the drive will be compatible with your Mac, though. The other poster is probably correct. If it is compatible, this software should work.

4. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Kind of related, but do macs support the "labelflash" technology found in pioneer drives? Can I just run it through the Lightscribe software?

5. Policar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, everyone. I guess I'll try it out.

When I built my last PC I had to worry about drivers with almost everything, so I'm just assuming the LITE-ON drive will function okay with OSX's built in .kexts and the software supplied by lightscribe? I guess if worse comes to worse I'll burn in XP, which isn't so bad at all.

Thanks again and I'll let this thread know my results.

6. Policar thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. Policar thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

I used a lightscribe external drive on my G4 and it worked great! But i did not use the printing function. Ill see if i can try it tomorrow. I really think it will work as its roxio software based.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

The optical drives in the '06 - '08 systems are IDE. But there's an unused pair of SATA ports on the board as well (labeled ODD_SATA).

There is a caveat though. Those ports will work for OS X, but if you try to boot a Windows DVD, it won't work (or Windows HDD for that matter), so if you do choose to go SATA, be aware of the limitation.

IMO, the easiest thing to do, is keep the optical as IDE. The drive you linked would work just fine.

10. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

I've got that drive in the lower optical drive of my 2009 Mac Pro... just plugged it in and it started working immediately w/o incident.

11. Policar thread starter macrumors 6502a

I should have bought it then... I spent $5 more on an IDE liteon drive that was better-reviewed and it reads but won't burn disks under OSX. When I use toast, it just spins endlessly and never writes anything. Not sure what I'm going to do with it.