Is this Macbook 2009 a good deal(for my needs)?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by verizoniphone4, Jun 3, 2012.

1. verizoniphone4 macrumors newbie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Apple-...87489538?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item3cc4110d02

I would probably only use the computer for some web surfing(youtube and some forum websites and maybe some Vmware and iMovie). I have my own copy of iLife so not a big deal that it isn't preloaded. I would most likely update the RAM and HD to a bigger size. Also, for the cracked case, couldn't I take it to the Apple store and get it replaced because it is still under AppleCare?

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Those pictures are of MacBooks with the old keyboard layout. Also, if it's a 2009 model, the AppleCare is up.

4. verizoniphone4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe Microsoft Word running in Windows XP but I'll probably just use bootcamp for that.

----------

I though that too so I'll contact the seller(maybe it was purchased for an educational institute?).

5. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

The picture definitely isn't of a 2009 Macbook. And he lists the Macbook as being 'seller refurbished', so I would assume the AppleCare has been voided (unless he is an Apple certified technician).

If I were you, I would wait a little longer. With the announcement of the new redesigned MBP's imminent (in 1-2 weeks time), prices for Macbooks and MBP's are bound to depreciate. You may find a nice MBP falling into your budget.

6. verizoniphone4, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

verizoniphone4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I might wait(but my budget is pretty low) but are you thinking of the unibody macbook because that is late 09 and this is early 09.

Here is a photo of the early 09 MB so I would assume they are the same.[​IMG]

7. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

Oh, yeah sorry I was thinking of the late 09 MB. Well, I'm sure the 2009/2010 unibody 13" MBP's will drop into the 500-600 range. But yeah, if that isn't really in your budget, then this deal is decent, however even this MB's price will drop upon release of the new MBP's.

Also, I wonder why the seller didn't just get the cracking case fixed himself considering the laptop is under AppleCare. Its value definitely would have gone up.

You should also ask him what he repaired, as Apple might give you trouble if they find broken warranty tabs if/when you take it in for repair.

8. verizoniphone4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I decided I should just wait for the new MBP so that maybe I could get a older one or maybe just get the next mini. I'm thinking ML will be the last major OS update for this mac.

9. AshMan macrumors regular

Picture is of a 2008 early most likely. 09 was a unibody as far as I know. The unibody does not suffer that same palmrest cracking issue.

I have an early 08 and that looks identical to mine and I have a late 09 so I know the difference.

Both are good machines, but I just got my early 08 off ebay for $250.00 and it works great

10. verizoniphone4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unibody was late '09...there was also a early '09 and a mid '09

11. gumblecosby macrumors 6502

That keyboard in the picture is not the same as one from a 2009 macbook. That one has an Apple key on it and the fn keys are in a different layout.

The seller seems to have a high rating. Perhaps there is an explanation for the different keyboard. Maybe it was swapped from an older model. That could mean the original keyboard was damaged due to spillage, abuse etc.

See what the seller says and if you do buy it, you have the 30 day return option to protect you. 2009 white macbooks can run OS X 10.8, 2008 ones can't.

12. chrfr macrumors 603

There were non-unibody plastic early 2009 MacBooks. The unibody plastic came later in 2009.

13. p1a5tiksp0rk macrumors newbie

Save up more money

If you don't require portability, invest in a mac mini. If portability is a requirement, I would keep saving money to invest in a macbook air (it suits your needs).

I would think twice before buying an apple product on eBay. If your going to invest in some quality, do it right and without compromise. You will benefit in the long run.

Things you can do to make it affordable:

1. If you are a student, take advantage of the student discount.
    2. Not sure if apple still gives out free itouch with macbook. If so, acquire itouch with your macbook purchase and then sell it.
    3. Take advantage of the 0% APR payment plan.

Cheers

14. root0 macrumors newbie

It's mc240, last 2009 macbook, last A1181 model.
    prev is mc881, next is mc207.
    http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook...?ie=UTF8&qid=1340041622&sr=8-1&keywords=mc240
    But in ebay's link, The keyboard is not default for mc240, I'm sure him changed it by self because only last 2009 macbook(mc240) use 2.13GHz CPU.
    So your couldn't get the AppleCare support.

I used it for writing programs and many other things 2 years. don't worry, your needs no problem.
    Just the boot time is a little long, about 2 minutes. I think the HD‘s speed is a little slow(5400pm), not RAM enough. When I update 40G SSD is much better, about 15s. so if you want update, first HD, It is my opinion. But if you can dirct buy a ssd macbook, like mba. It's maybe better to update.
    If you would be used windows. Try virtualbox, It's free and very fast for running windows on linux platform. Maybe is good chooie on mac too.

15. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

I'm typing this on a April 2009 non unibody MacBook (I wanted one compatible with ML)... and I can tell that one is definitely does not look like an 09 (as mentioned before)

I got this one for about that much, and it is in almost perfect condition (no palm rest cracks or scuffs on the lid).

here are a few other ones you can try...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...pple_Laptops&hash=item33779ba232#ht_500wt_923
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...12598952?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item1e6f13f9a8
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-13-GHz-Ap...24482704?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item43b0878e90