Is this Macbook a good buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by darklighter, Aug 6, 2009.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes but it is sold and Final Cut being on the MB tells me you're getting something that is pirated.

2. darklighter thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I bought it. Just wondering if I got a good deal, ignoring the fact that Final Cut is on it.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The guy doesn't even know what it is exactly that he's selling.

If it's the computer in the image, there is no FW400 port. Plus, it's gone already. Also, there's no Mini-DVI, it's mini-display port, and it's a 2.0 Core 2 Duo if it's the pictured unit, not a Core Duo.

I'd be weary buying from somebody who can't even post a proper ad.

If the image is correct you got a good deal, if the text is correct you got jacked.

4. uanuglyfool macrumors regular

uanuglyfool

I was thinking the EXACT same thing. This seems like a white macbook. Be careful

5. darklighter thread starter macrumors member

I was looking at some his feedback and the other customers he sold macbooks to were happy with their purchases so I'm assuming it's a good buy.

I guess I'll find out.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why buy then ask?
    Why not ask then not buy when you read some of the comments?
    Why buy when you're getting pirated software?

This auction should be reported.

7. darklighter thread starter macrumors member

I'm not too concerened about whether software is pirated or not. I could care less.

I'm concerned about the hardware.

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Either way, by buying it prior to the thread it makes the thread useless. Even if it's not a good deal, you're stuck with it now.

My previous posts reflects my view on the hardware aspect of it.

9. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

It says it was bought from an auction from a company that has gone bankrupt, so isn't there a good chance the company was actually into Video editing and purchased those applications legally? Just a thought.

10. darklighter thread starter macrumors member

I talk to the guy and he said put those specs in by mistake and asked if I still wanted it.

It IS the aluminum macbook from last year.

11. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Sounds pretty good then. Go for it.

12. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

I have Final Cut on my MacBook and I forked out quite a lot of money for it. Just because a computer has come with something unusually good pre-installed doesn't always mean it is pirated; it is possible if the machine was pre-ordered with Final Cut installed, then it will have been re-installed when the machine was wiped along with OS X, iLife and the iWork trial.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It's "couldn't care" and yes, we know you couldn't care less so long as you get what you paid for and believe me, based on the fact that someone would sell a high dollar item and then say he accidently put the information in wrong and failed to edit it later ... well, good luck with that one. You will either get burned or you may be getting something that was not his to sell.

You're wrong in a way. Yes, it can come pre-installed but you paid FULL PRICE for it. The closing auction did not indicate that you'd see the actual discs, ergo you just received pirated goods. Think about it. If I sell something with Photoshop pre-installed I have to give the install discs over. Otherwise, that is called pirated software as you're not the owner. Whether it ended up on the machine from a legit source or not is not in question. My guess is anyone selling an item with that software on it and no install discs did not acquire the software through a legitimate source.

You can buy all the software you want, if you transfer the machine it is on with the software you have to either give the install discs over or wipe the machine of the software. Either way, less than $900 for the MacBook AND FC ... yeah right.

14. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

I wasn't aware that the discs were not included in the sale, I was only able to glean the basics of the sale since the US version of eBay is picky about people logging in from Britain.

I agree, no discs is odd. Especially if even the OS X disc is excluded. Personally, I wouldn't have bought if this were the case.

15. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

Have you considered working for RIAA? I think they may have use for you. :)

Preinstalled software on a used system usually costs next to nothing. It's generally thrown in as a bonus. If you don't believe me, check your local Craigslist.

If you are still in denial about Mac prices, feel free to check the above-mentioned website where I have seen some AluMBs dip down to $800-850 on occasion. On eBay since it's a live auction things like that sometimes happen too. OP did get a good deal but it was hardly a gift.

If it really bothers the OP so much to have allegedly pirated software, he can always uninstall it. No need to make a huge fuss about it.

16. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Could be a tidy little buy, good luck, hope it works out.

17. darklighter thread starter macrumors member

Seriously, nitpicking on grammar? And I think I'll be okay on the purchase. Thanks for your concern. Whether or not it's pirated is not an issue for me since I and many others don't buy software anyhow.

18. sonspot macrumors member

i wouldn't be concerned about the software either, i just bought my white MB used with iwork on it, but changed the hdd and did a clean install,. i do agree with everything else, why ask after you buy :p..

so what do you guys think i have a 2.0 core 2 duo, it came with 1gb ram, 80gb hhd and everything else in the OP link.:rolleyes: i payed $425 cnd, it cracked at on the corner, if apple wont fix it i'll just buy a new keyboard of ebay for $24. battery is good for 3+ hr..

i upgraded the ram to 2gb for $20 and the hhd to 320gb, i have a WD passport setting around, i have no problem taking things apart..

thanks

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It's not about the RIAA. It's about being an aware buyer. If someone is pre-installing a program that costs hundreds of dollars and somehow that means (to you) that it costs them next to noting, then I'd love to hear the logic behind that one. I would never spend that much money on software that I just give away on a machine that I sell. I couldn't give two ***** about pirated software so much as it alarms me in a sale that someone would give the machine + software away for next to nothing.

The OP got a great deal and has software that he probably won't use anyway. If it works out he should be happy about the deal. I was simply making a point because the OP bought then asked if it were a good deal. Clearly something sat wrong with him as well ... or he was here to brag about his super duper amazing find on eBay.
    Grammar has no basis on posting the item with entirely different specs so much so that you're unsure if you're buying the Alu MB or the White MB. If I were buying based on people's grammar skills on eBay I would never buy from there. :) I was nitpicking the fact that he had a machine in hand and was incapable of listing it properly. I said nothing about grammar. Read again. :)

20. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

This is a silly argument. Since this guy sells dozens of Macbooks, there is a good chance he uses one standard disk image for all similar systems. Perhaps that image has FC on it. Nobody knows. But it's unlikely that he sits there for hours reinstalling OS X on every system he sells. That would be just plain dumb.

And don't measure everybody with same ruler as yourself. Just because YOU wouldn't leave a program you paid for on a machine you're selling, doesn't mean everyone will do exactly the same. People are different. Some care about this, some don't. Chances are he got this program as a freebie or very cheap with one of his bankruptcy purchases and he is installing it with the aforementioned image to attract people to buy his Macbooks. Of course this is just a guess.

OP asked because the specs were a bit off. Occasionally that happens. The auction guy could've been in a rush or maybe he just wouldn't know a Macbook from a Thinkpad. Sometimes people that don't know what they have are the best to buy from. Providing OP gets the system pictured, it's all good.

21. sonspot macrumors member

are you guys ignoring my thread jacking:(, so did i get a good deal?:rolleyes:

22. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Also why is there no factory warrenty left? The computer just came out in October 2008 and its August 2009 its not 1 year yet?

23. darklighter thread starter macrumors member

I'm not talking about the ebay ad grammar...Jesus. And I'm not here to brag about anything.