Is this macbook good for high school

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SHEEPOS, Jun 30, 2015.

1. SHEEPOS macrumors member

SHEEPOS

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Try asking in the "buying advice" forum. Also, refer to it as a "white plastic 2010 macbook", because otherwise people will think you're talking about an entirely different computer and give you the wrong advice.

3. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Those are still pretty decent machines; once you've upgraded the RAM and added an SSD it runs really nice. After that it should do everything your brother's looking for and then some.

4. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

They are more than enough for word, excel, and powerpoint presentations. That's in addition to the apps that comes with it, Safari, mail, iTunes, etc.

I wouldn't invest too much into a laptop for high school. Not until he goes to college and can afford his own, or at least partially pays for it.

5. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Considering Apple sold a ton of white unibody MBs to public schools it's actually not a pretty bad choice.

6. SHEEPOS thread starter macrumors member

SHEEPOS

so should I upgrade the hard drive to SSD or it's not worth it for high school students?

7. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

If you can find a nice cheap SSD, go for it.

8. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Believe it or not it's actually more than enough for high school. I will probably never say the following statement again: the MacBook is actually more powerful than you even need. So yes. It will work just fine.

But a $1300 super thin MacBook for high school? Maybe if your parents are paying for it and money isn't an issue, but if you're paying yourself you might want to buy used

9. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Wrong MacBook :)
    [​IMG]
    Like $300 for one in good condition

Q-6

10. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Haha now that makes more sense! That's what happens when I'm switching between safari and pretending to pay attention to my girlfriend!

11. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Yes. My 11 year old daughter uses it in junior high school for these purposes and it's a stock-standard one from years ago, hasn't been upgraded at all.

Just use the old, original operating system. Upgrading to something new slows the thing way down.

BJ

12. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

If the schools buy it, then you have no real control over that. I'm talking about individual purchase decisions.

13. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

If the macbook still works, I would upgrade it to a SSD if cleaning or a fresh install doesn't speed things up. They are relatively cheap now, so even a 256GB SSD is more than sufficient. It will significantly boost load time and make basic applications load nearly instantly.

When I was in high school, a high schooler doesn't need anything that is the latest or greatest, so that Macbook is more than sufficient. They just need basic word and powerpoint editing. They wouldn't care anyway, because once they are done with homework, they'll just go outside and play.

By the time they get into college, their laptops will be more involved, so they may like to get a new machine when they enter college. Save the money for when he is in college.

The decision isn't necessarily about social-economics, but rather being wise with money. It doesn't matter if the parents are millionaires. If you just hand them new toys all the time, they become dependent and it becomes engrained into them, expecting things from their parents.

14. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

15. SHEEPOS thread starter macrumors member

SHEEPOS

chromebooks aren't real computers