is this macbook pro a good deal???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdmish, Jun 18, 2007.

1. jdmish macrumors newbie

im trying to decide if this is a good deal or not.

Its a 15" apple macbook pro for $1100. I believe its about a year old.

Intel core duo 2.0 Ghz processor
    512 RAM
    80 gig hdd

I believe its an older macbook pro b/c the newer ones come with standard 2gig RAM and Core 2 Duo processors now.

What do you think guys?

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

I'd probably say it is, almost the exact specs for the same price as a new MacBook, but you could upgrade to RAM to a higher spec, the graphics card is better, and you've got a nice big screen to go with it. Only thing I'd be wondering about is if Applecare is still active on it.

3. amoda macrumors 6502a

It's a great deal if it'll do what you need. I sold my old mbp, with worse specs, for more. This is probably like a year old though, so make sure to ask if it still has AppleCare on it. If it does, then buy extended asap. Also i would recommend making a deal with the seller for like a 1week tryout or something. The RevA mbps (which this is) had several problems so you should test it out first. Problems include: Excessive heat, whine from under the keyboard, popping speakers, uneven displays etc.

P.S i sold my:

1.83CD
    1Gb ram
    80Gb hd
    128mb X1600

for $1300 CAD

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

At the exact same price as a new MacBook, that's a tough call. If you really need the size and better video card, then go for it. If you don't, get the MB.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would probably go with the macbook, as the Rev. A machines had too many problems as was mentioned earlier.

6. jdmish thread starter macrumors newbie

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

RevA = first release of a new machine.
    Conventional wisdom holds that the first revision of a machine will have the highest number of defects and engineering issues. The conventional wisdome is not always accurate.

Standard warning: If this is a Craigslist deal, insist on a face to face purchase where you can see and test the machine. Do not deal with ANY Craigslist advertiser from outside your local area.

8. jdmish thread starter macrumors newbie

just checked on mac2sell.com. I guess its an average deal...How many different macbook pro has there been?

9. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Nope. It is a really poor deal. For $100-$200 more I will go for a C2D 2.16ghz machine.

10. Tech607 macrumors member

Yeah and you also get 120gb HD, 1GB Memory, 1 year of warranty with the MacBook purchase. Unless you want the bigger screen.

11. AdamL macrumors member

Yeah, I'd say go for the Mac Book. Only a little more, with a lot of upgrades over the MBP you're looking into to.

12. jdmish thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is size is an issue. I would really like a macbook pro b/c a 15 inch. If it werent for my very tight budget i would look into a newer version of the macbook pro. But b/c of my budget, the only macbook pro i can get seems to be an older version.

Seems like half of people think its a decent deal and the other half doesnt.

13. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

It's solid in the sense that it's a worse CPU, but better GPU and screen size than the Macbook. But worse in that it's already a year old, and it's the first revision, which someone might very well be trying to dump off on someone.

I personally wouldn't do it. Even if it worked great, I wouldn't want a system used by someone else already for a year, but you can never trust random people for trying to dump off defective systems. Someone on the Dell forums just bought a used XPS 1710 (their high-end model), and of course it turns out to be one that was having all the issues that have been reported with those. It's basically a paperweight. We told him the best way to "fix" it would be to buy a new 1705/1710.

Same thing could happen to you. I personally just think it's too big of a gamble. Though it's entirely possible you'd get it and use it for years with no issues.

You can also find clearanced out last gen Macbook Pros for probably in the $1600-1700 range, which would be a newer revision, and new hardware.

Even buying a refurb from Apple would probably be a lot safer.

14. jdmish thread starter macrumors newbie

15. Ale-500 macrumors newbie

Refurbished give at apple store web site.

If you really need the graphics card AND you want OSX is not a bad deal. If you are going to use window$ all the time, get a PC, for less.

I'd go for a new Macbook, new battery, faster processor, more RAM and Harddisk.
    But you will not have: ExpressCard, discrete graphics card, 15" 1440x900 (makes not that of a difference with 1280x800, I have both, I tell you).