Is this macbook pro worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by imelissa, Sep 28, 2009.

1. imelissa macrumors newbie

please help im buying my first macbook and i seen someone selling a late 2008 macbook pro for $1,600.
    aluminum unibody, 15 in, 2.4 ghz, 4gb ram, 250 gb, superdrive,256 vram.
    and it comes with the old 10.6 and comes with ilife, adobe cs3, final cut studio 2, office 2008, logic studio pro8, and aperature.
    i want to get a good deal i was going to buy a new one but this computer has alot on it. is it truly worth $1,600??

i have a dell studio 15 and having so many problems dont want another pc

doesn't come with any disks then the mac disks it comes with originaly

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If the software doesn't come with a license, it's illegal and technically should be removed when you get the computer. If you're going to be keeping the software, it's no different then if you downloaded it from thepiratebay or where ever.

So ignore the software part.

Is a 2008 Macbook Pro worth $1600? If you can get Applecare on it, I'd say it's worth it. If you can't get Apple's warranty anymore, I think you'd be better off picking up a 13" Macbook Pro.

Really, the only reason you'll want a 15" or 17" Macbook pro is for the video card, but you really shouldn't be buying a mac if you're hardcore into gaming, as most games will run better on a Windows machine.

3. imelissa thread starter macrumors newbie

i wanted it mostly for the programs. would i get in trouble for pirated programs? i know on my computer now with vista it wont let you get pirated programs.

it says you can still get apple care

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If you can't get pirated programs on Vista, it just means you fail as a pirate. You'll get in trouble if you get caught - the odds are slim to none, however if they do somehow manage to catch you, the fines are pretty large (whether you downloaded them onto your vista computer, or buy the mac and don't delete the programs).

If you can get Applecare, I think it's worth it.

5. ShocK x10 macrumors newbie

Loving the first sentence.. so so true :rolleyes:

But dont go with the pirated software, it clearly is pirated and all you're paying for is someone else who has gotten it for free and put it on. Unless you need the spec of the laptop itself that is..

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

You can get a refurbed 2.4 off of the apple web site for $1299, and it will qualify for applecare.

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you buy it your basically paying someone $400 to pirate software for you. So you still would have no legal rights to the software.

You could get a 2006 Macbook Pro and legal older versions of those programs for that price. Do you need that software for your lively hood or want it to toy around with?