Is this macbook pro worth the asking price?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iangibson, Nov 7, 2008.

1. iangibson macrumors newbie

Hey, ok so someone is trying to sell me this for $700.00(canadian dollars), I have never bought a mac before, I just want something quick that I can take on the road, so I don't want to buy something brand shiny new, cause who knows what would happen.

So I wanna know if this asking price is too high, I tend to think it is a decent price, not overpriced. what do you guys think? Need some opinions... :)

Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
    Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 2 MB
    Memory: 1.5 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP11.0055.B08
    SMC Version: 1.2f10
    Serial Number: W8608*****

ATI Radeon X1600:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600
    Type: Display
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 128 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x71c5
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    EFI Driver Version: 01.00.068
    Displays:

ntel ICH7-M AHCI:

Vendor: Intel
    Product: ICH7-M AHCI
    Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
    Description: AHCI Version 1.10 Supported

TOSHIBA MK8032GSX:

Capacity: 74.53 GB
    Model: TOSHIBA MK8032GSX
    Revision: AS114B
    Serial Number: 16EK0990T
    Native Command Queuing: Yes
    Queue Depth: 32
    Removable Media: No
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk0
    Mac OS 9 Drivers: No
    Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
    Volumes:
    Macintosh HD:
    Capacity: 74.21 GB
    Available: 17.12 GB
    Writable: Yes
    File System: Journaled HFS+
    BSD Name: disk0s2
    Mount Point: /

software included:
    MS Office, iLife, iWork, Final cut, Toast, and a bunch of other programs

Apple Care still valid, 2 years left.

Thank you for helping me...

2. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

not worth it in my opinion. core duo's run rather hot compared to core 2 duo's. i'm also surprised that he has 2 years warrantee left. invest 300 dollar more and buy a macbook refurb that's much faster.

3. six.four macrumors 6502

Agreed about the warranty. The 1.86 ghz core duo MBP was released early 2006 and was replaced by the core 2 duos in late 2006. If he bought it in November 2006, he would still only have less than a year left on the applecare.

I have a late 2007 2.4ghz MBP and it has less than 2 years left on it.

As far as price is concerned - I agree that it's not worth your $700 to purchase a core duo.
    You can do what andiwm2003 suggested - pay up to get a refurb.
    If you don't want to /can't pony up the cash, its worth it just go a step down and buy an older macbook with a C2D, which you should easily be able to find for around that price, if not cheaper.

4. kingtj macrumors 68020

For whatever help it might be .....

I just recently sold a very similar machine on Craigslist, here in the U.S. and wound up getting $950 cash for it.

Mine was the 2.0Ghz version of the original Core Duo though, with a 7200RPM 100GB hard drive in it, and the X1600 with 256MB video, upgraded to 2GB of RAM, and had no Applecare warranty left on it.

I originally posted my ad asking around $1050 for it, and it took about a week to get it sold. I had a total of about 3 people I'd say seemed like serious buyers who contacted me. The first told me he wouldn't pay over $800 for it, so I ignored him. The second guy met up with me, and offered the $950 cash as "all he had with him", so I went ahead and took his offer. If I had held out another day though, I *think* the 3rd. person who contacted me would have given me my full asking price.

Personally, I felt like the machine I was selling was a "fair price" at around the $1000 (US) price point. One of the new Macbooks (not a Pro) in a similar aluminum case would cost a person more ... and although it would have a 1 year warranty, it would lack the firewire port and have a smaller screen.

5. iangibson thread starter macrumors newbie