Is this MBP 17" 2.16GHz Core Duo worth $775?

macaddict23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
MacVille, USA
Seller originally had it listed at $850. I offered $750, and he countered with $775.

This is a Core Duo, not a Core 2 Duo. It is in mint condition. It comes with 2GB of ram and 120GB hard drive at 5400RPM. It comes with the original box, power adapter, 10.5.x install discs, and original retail disc of 10.6.

I plan on using it for pro graphics work. Is $775 a good deal? How many years can I expect from this laptop before my CS apps slows to a crawl?

Thanks!

Fuchal

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2003
if you got a new battery, it would be a pretty decent machine.

the core duos are fast enough, but the core 2 duos run much cooler, are 64-bit, and are quite a bit faster.

it would obviously be a better investment to purchase a core 2 machine, but there is certainly nothing wrong with that one

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
The biggest limitation of that machine is that it can only take up to 2GB of RAM. For running CS, that's going to take a toll. That is not to say it won't manage: I've run CS4 on my old CoreDuo MacBook with the 2.0GHz processor and 2GB of RAM, and they're entirely useable. Things do slow down when trying to run 2-3 CS Apps side-by-side, though (like when I'd have Fireworks, Dreamweaver, and Photoshop running).

All in all, the price seems reasonable and the computer will work for what you want. But I also think, in the long run, you'd be much happier with a new machine. Core 2 Duo and 4GB of RAM are going to make running CS apps a lot more pleasant.

macrumorsMaster

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
The biggest limitation of that machine is that it can only take up to 2GB of RAM.

Core 2 Duo and 4GB of RAM are going to make running CS apps a lot more pleasant.
Well Said Demo.
Plus if you want to upgrade to future versions of adobe products I'm sure the more ram you have the better it will run.
If real estate is such a big deal try the refurb site for a 15" (or 13" if you can bear it), and get an external display for when you really need more room.

s3e3

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2009
My advise would be to buy an apple certified refurbished.
I have the Core 2 Duo 17" Macbook pro and love it but wish it could handle 4GB of ram.
The laptop you are thinking about probably just over 3 years old, correct?

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
The biggest limitation of that machine is that it can only take up to 2GB of RAM. For running CS, that's going to take a toll. That is not to say it won't manage: I've run CS4 on my old CoreDuo MacBook with the 2.0GHz processor and 2GB of RAM, and they're entirely useable. Things do slow down when trying to run 2-3 CS Apps side-by-side, though (like when I'd have Fireworks, Dreamweaver, and Photoshop running).

All in all, the price seems reasonable and the computer will work for what you want. But I also think, in the long run, you'd be much happier with a new machine. Core 2 Duo and 4GB of RAM are going to make running CS apps a lot more pleasant.
+1