Is This Memory 2010 MBP 17'' Compatible?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gonzaload1987, Apr 19, 2010.

1. gonzaload1987 macrumors regular

Hey guys, i will like to ask for your help because i'm going to buy the i7's new MBP, and i don't want to pay for the $400 plus from Apple for having 8gb of Ram.

I was searching the web and i found this memories from Kingston: KVR1066D3Q8R7SK2

Has anyone tried this memory with a MBP successfully?

Thanks for your time and help :cool:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That RAM is for desktop computers and has 240 pins.
    [​IMG]

You need 204 pin 1066 MHz PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM.
    [​IMG]

www.macsales.com will get you further information.

3. gonzaload1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much for your quick answer, i was going to make a terrible mistake.

Sorry if my english is not the best, i'm from Argentina and this is very challenging issue, because the cost of all Apple's hardware is %50 -> %200 rise up :(

Do you think that is a good investment to buy the MBP 17'' with i7? recently i was using an imac from 2008 (8,1) but i need mobility and power at the same time.

Cheers!

4. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

You answered your own question...

I own a 17" MacBook Pro and have no regrets.

Buena suerte!

5. Link2999 macrumors 6502

In someways the i5 chip is better than the i7, make sure you know the differences.

6. gonzaload1987 thread starter macrumors regular

I thought that the i7 was better than the i5 chip, in what kind of tasks that situation happens? In the other benchmarks posted in other threads in macrumors, the i7 was always better, except in heat y consuming...

7. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Are you really sure you need 8 gigs of ram?

Why not just wait?

8. gonzaload1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Im using 4gb on my imac and sometimes with parallels desktop it feels very slow, and i can have a discount buying all at the same time :D

Anyone has knowledge about mbp's i7 vs i5 performance? Im interested about that.

Also, besides calibrating the battery, i would like to know what is the best for taking care of it and make it more usable along time? I must do a calibrate all months, or just using it without plug about 3-4 hours per day its enough?

9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

I missed how there was a discount?

the i7 is a faster processor than the i5, future proof its the way I would go.

as for the battery, you will need to look at the manual

I have a 4 year old macbook with the original battery, still gets 3.5+ hours on a charge. We have *never* done anything special with it. Just plug it in when its on the desk -- which is pretty much 24 hours a day 7 days a week -- its rarely on battery power.

10. gonzaload1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Thx for your advice, i was wondering that i have chosen the wrong CPU :eek:

When i talk about "discount", i mean for people like me and a lot of folks who lives outside US and the price for Apple products is PREMIUM +, and most of the time i have to paid twice the cost of yours ...

Thx for all your help :cool: