Is this memory compatible with iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by testudo, Jan 17, 2012.

1. testudo macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

First off, I would like to say that this is a great forum for information and help. I am surprised that I waited this long to register. Anyhow, I have a quick question. Will this memory work inside this iMac?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00102A066/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...24-inch-aluminum-early-2008-penryn-specs.html

It doesn't say anything about it in the description on Amazon, but it looks identical to the memory stick that goes inside an iMac. I figured I would ask here because of the knowledgeable members here on this forum.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Testudo

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

It would need to list a pin number to be certain. It may look the same but it could be wrong. IMO it SHOULD work but it's no guarantee. Personally I would get it from here (OWC) which is only 2 dollars more expensive and it's guaranteed to work as they test all their RAM on the mac models they claim to work for. I got my 4GB of iMac RAM from them and it works great.

3. simsaladimbamba

Yes, that 200-pin DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM is compatible with your iMac.

4. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

5. testudo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies! And, they were so fast. I am on a very, very tight budget. So, I have to go on the cheap, at least for now.

Testudo

6. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

If you are going with the 2GB chip.

Your link is 27.99 + 4.99 shipping = 32.98

OWC = 29.99 + 1.79 = 31.78

So you get better memory and at a cheaper price.

7. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

This. Better RAM, money back guarantee if you aren't satisfied, and cheaper.

8. altaprod, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012

altaprod macrumors regular

altaprod

I also need advice.

I'm also going to upgrade the memory for my 2008 iMac and I currently have 2 slots (1GB each). I'm trying to decide to upgrade one slot for $58.99 (giving me a total of 5GB) or upgrade both slots for $84.99 (giving me a total of 8GB). Does anyone know if there will be a huge difference? I'm in the dark. :confused:

4.0GB Upgrade Kit
    (2.0GB Modules x 2 Set)
    $58.99

4.0GB Upgrade
    (4096MB Module)
    $84.99

Many thanks!!!

9. simsaladimbamba

That model only has a maximum capacity of 6 GB for RAM: http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...24-inch-aluminum-early-2008-penryn-specs.html

And the difference depends on your usage. While I have 4 GB in my 2007 iMac and 8 GB in my 2009 MBP, the difference is noticeable, but I use a lot of RAM hungry applications and sometimes have up to 20, 25 applications open.
    An SSD might do wonders though, my 2007 iMac with an SSD is as fast as my MBP with an SSD in the daily tasks I throw at it.

10. altaprod macrumors regular

altaprod

Yeah, I updated the latest OS and have noticed it slowing way down so I think a shot of ram will really help. SSD isn't something I even considered because I thought that was only used for data storage type of memory - I'm still ignorant about this stuff :(

Many thanks!

11. simsaladimbamba

No, 6 GB MAXIMUM. Thus you can get two 2 GB sticks to get 4 GB or if you really need 6 GB, you can get a 2 GB stick and a 4 GB stick.

Lion is RAM hungry.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

Btw, "memory" is not the same as "hard drive capacity":
    What is Computer Memory? RAM vs Hard Drive
    RAM vs. Hard Disk
    An SSD is just like an HDD (for storing data), just without moving parts and a lot faster than an HDD.

But know, that upgrading an iMac with an SSD is not easy, so if you are not comfortable unscrewing a dozen or more screws and taking the entire computer apart, just live with the HDD.

12. altaprod macrumors regular

altaprod

Thanks simsaladimbamba

simsaladimbamba - You're awesome!
    So generous with your time and knowledge. Now I understand things much better and will check on my system when I get home from work!

Many thanks!

13. altaprod macrumors regular

altaprod

wow!

I just received my new memory (4gb) from OWC. It was a breeze to install adn the computer is lightning fast again - It's like a new computer!

Special thanks to simsaladimbamba for all your help.

:)