Is this mod possible: internal LCD interface drive external LCD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by foodle, Nov 15, 2008.

1. foodle macrumors 6502

Is it possible to mod the internal LCD interface of a MBP to drive an external display?

What I'd like is to get a 17" MBP with a 1920x1200 screen and mod it to drive an external 1920x1200 display from the internal LCD interface, then use the external dual-link DVI port to drive two other 1920x1200 LCDs (using a Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital to split the dual-link DVI to two single link DVIs). The 2nd part of that I've already done, but I don't know how hard it will be to mod the internal LCD interface to drive an external display.

From some preliminary research (read: ~1hour on the web), I think that it will be difficult to do a LVDS to DVI adapter, but I may be able to hack an external LCD to directly take the LVDS output of the MBP. Since the MBP's original LCD will also be 1920x1200, I'm not anticipating any problems from the software/configuration standpoint. So I think that it will be a pure hardware problem.

Any suggestions?

2. foodle thread starter macrumors 6502

I saw a similar product online, but the question is:
    1) Is the internal MBP LVDS compatible with this?
    2) Will the DVI out support 1920x1200? The other similar product I saw maxed out at 1024x768 (ick!).