Is this "model and talent agency" a scam?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by StephenCampbell, Sep 19, 2011.

1. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

I just received a phone call from the "Emerald City Model and Talent" agency, and they want me to come in for an interview. I think I had sent them an email with a headshot via craigslist a few days ago (they had posted an ad).

I agreed to come in for an interview tomorrow knowing that I'll most likely be calling back shortly to cancel, because I kind of like agreeing and then canceling because it's like saying to them "hah, almost fooled me.. but not quite."

So.. I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice not going.. I googled it and there is a lot of info about it being a scam, like I suspected on the phone.. but just want to make sure. What do you think?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would think that most modeling agencies are a scam. Did they ask for money? If so, I think that would be the biggest tip that they aren't legit.

4. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

They didn't ask for money by phone, but I think they usually ask for money once you're there, saying that it's for setting up your portfolio or whatever, right?

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

6. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

Most agencies will charge a setup fee along with monthly/yearly charges, most reputable agencies will allow you to go away and get a portfolio set up else where if you think somewhere else will be cheaper (unless you have a friend with a decent camera and lighting knowledge) they can be pretty damn expensive. I went with an agency I had seen a lot in the media.

Don't be fooled.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have no idea what the usual practice is. (I have a face for radio) I wouldn't give them much if any money up front.

8. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Legit agencies will never ask you for any money.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace