Is this new "BLU" LCD displays any better than the current one?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by d Fusion b, Dec 8, 2010.

1. d Fusion b macrumors member

d Fusion b

I read through this updated today on the iPad 2's display provider expecting to get some word on any improvments which might be made from it. Not only does the post not contain any info, but I did some research and couldn't come up with anything on these "BLU" LCD displays..

Will the bring better contrast, color, anything?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

BLU is just the abbreviation for the back light unit, so nothing special here.

3. d Fusion b thread starter macrumors member

d Fusion b

4. RKpro macrumors 6502

Well the fact (well not really, it's a rumor) that they have new suppliers and new backlight unit already means that they are upgrading the screen, hopefully... I mean, they're not going to downgrade it? The iPad is already selling like crack cakes at $499, no reason for Apple to reduce it.

The screen is already awesome, the only way to I would improve it is to have a higher resolution. If it was maybe ~200px wider and 150px taller, that would be great.
    /IMO

5. stix macrumors member

6. JulianL macrumors 65816

They might be trying to get down the power consumption as well but I agree that cost will be reason enough for the change without necessarily implying any quality improvements.

- Julian

7. andrewsd macrumors 6502

The screen on it already super nice and is crisp as well.. Everyone always wants more, there will come a point were people will want some many mega pixels that you wont be able to see the text with out a microscope. I imagine they will upgrade a little bit though to keep just behind there competitors as they usually do except with the iP4.

I remember when everyone wanted "glossy" screens on mac's then we got them then most of those same people complained about them.