Is this normal? (2011 17" MBP Display)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by axu539, Mar 14, 2011.

1. axu539 macrumors 6502a

So I've had my MBP for a while, and I just noticed this today. I was watching a movie on my external display in full screen, and it blacked out the internal display. However, I had the brightness at full, and I noticed the pattern on the screen. It's only noticeable at the top 2-3 brightest settings and only when the screen has very dark content. I was also in a fully dark room. Anyone else see this?

WiI4j.jpg

2. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

normal. same thing on my MBP17

3. axu539 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's a relief. I wasn't planning on going and exchanging it anyway, since it was barely and rarely noticeable, but it did irk me a little. I guess if the problem does get worse, I'll take it to Apple.

4. iZero macrumors regular

It seems to be more or less normal. They'll all have a bit of backlight bleed against black or very dark backgrounds when on full or high brightness... (it may be unfair to say all, but it seems many do at least), but if you worry that it's too much, by all means take it in to get looked at! :) That's what your warranty is for :)

5. axu539 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not that worried. I really just wanted to see if this was out of the ordinary, in which case, it might have signified problems down the line. Since it seems relatively common, and I won't usually be looking at the screen when it has such a dark background, I'll leave it alone. This is the only defect I've managed to find on my machine after over 2 weeks, so I'm more than happy with it.