Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erickg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2004
Just wondering if anyone else thinks this is strange. I was just looking at Apple's refurb store (under the "looking for a great deal" section of Apple's online store) and noticed that there is an unusually large amount of iMacs, Powermacs and eMacs in the refurb store. I've never seen so many in the refurb store at the same time, so I'm just wondering if this could mean something? All three are due for updates and it would make sense that Apple would like to get these out the door at a higher price.

See the attached pdf.

Attachments

• The Apple Store (U.S.) - refurbs-print-1.pdf.zip
    75.6 KB · Views: 5,833

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
erickg said:
Just wondering if anyone else thinks this is strange. I was just looking at Apple's refurb store (under the "looking for a great deal" section of Apple's online store) and noticed that there is an unusually large amount of iMacs, Powermacs and eMacs in the refurb store. I've never seen so many in the refurb store at the same time, so I'm just wondering if this could mean something? All three are due for updates and it would make sense that Apple would like to get these out the door at a higher price.

See the attached pdf.

Oh Boy...only 14 days to go to the 1 April. i hope we get updated iMac's and Powermacs...

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
erickg said:

See the attached pdf.

some of that list seems like a good deal - get in quick !

looks like they are going to upgrade most of apple's product line going on that sale sheet lol but maybe not

iMac and eMac are the fav's but i'm still holding out for a iBook upgrade and a needed PowerMac upgrade( WWDC most prob)

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
erickg said:

See the attached pdf.
This is normal.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Hmmm, there definitely weren't that many PowerMacs yesterday when I looked, and no or few eMacs (didn't look closely). The iMacs have been there for several weeks.

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a large amount of products being refurbished has anything to do with updates whatsoever. They're refurbished machines, which means repaired for whatever default, be it a factory problem or people sending machines back. Machines being repaired has nothing to do with update cycles. And I highly doubt apple would throw in stock machines into the refurb page just to sell more off. If so, it would make more sense to just have a sale on the regular stock.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
vtprinz said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a large amount of products being refurbished has anything to do with updates whatsoever. They're refurbished machines, which means repaired for whatever default, be it a factory problem or people sending machines back. Machines being repaired has nothing to do with update cycles. And I highly doubt apple would throw in stock machines into the refurb page just to sell more off. If so, it would make more sense to just have a sale on the regular stock.

I think you are correct. BTW, that sure is a sweet deal for the 17" PowerBook.

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
powermac666 said:
I think you are correct. BTW, that sure is a sweet deal for the 17" PowerBook.

Yeah, the refurb page really has nothing to do with any impending upgrades.... nice dream though...

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
Sunrunner said:
Yeah, the refurb page really has nothing to do with any impending upgrades.... nice dream though...

If there were a significant price drop for the refurbs, that would be a different story.

I think iMac refurbs went down in price a little recently?

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
vtprinz said:
Machines being repaired has nothing to do with update cycles.
True.

vtprinz said:
And I highly doubt apple would throw in stock machines into the refurb page just to sell more off. If so, it would make more sense to just have a sale on the regular stock.
It seems to me that Apple does both from time to time. Apple has a strict pricing policy for resellers, so it uses these methods to get rid of excess inventory. So there are three sources of refurbished items: customer returns (which may not all need to be repaired because not all are defective), excess inventory of current models and excess inventory of past models.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Definitely a good way to get an educational type discount for those that don't qualify. This refurb list is normal, its an ongoing thing that Apple offers.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Doesn't refurbished mean they are selling computers that have been repaired? Excess inventory is handled by way of rebates and promotional offers with other products or services.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Rod Rod said:
True.

It seems to me that Apple does both from time to time. Apple has a strict pricing policy for resellers, so it uses these methods to get rid of excess inventory. So there are three sources of refurbished items: customer returns (which may not all need to be repaired because not all are defective), excess inventory of current models and excess inventory of past models.

Yep, I think you are correct. The last "refurb" product I purchased from Apple (an iPod) came in complete retail packaging, shrink-wrapped. The product refresh came a couple of weeks later (drat!). I believe selling off new hardware as "refurbished" is one of the sneaky ways Apple has of clearing out excess inventory before a refresh. They might be good deals, but not as good as they look. Better to wait, if you can.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Lacero said:
Doesn't refurbished mean they are selling computers that have been repaired? Excess inventory is handled by way of rebates and promotional offers with other products or services.
The only products and services with rebates and promotional offers are printers, AppleCare Protection Plans and .mac, and of course the wireless keyboard and mouse has a special price ($99) at Apple Retail stores if you buy it with a new CPU. That's all I can recall at the moment . .. maybe there was an iSight special deal at some point in time though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.