Is this normal? Apple refurb store

erickg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2004
327
0
Just wondering if anyone else thinks this is strange. I was just looking at Apple's refurb store (under the "looking for a great deal" section of Apple's online store) and noticed that there is an unusually large amount of iMacs, Powermacs and eMacs in the refurb store. I've never seen so many in the refurb store at the same time, so I'm just wondering if this could mean something? All three are due for updates and it would make sense that Apple would like to get these out the door at a higher price.

See the attached pdf.
 

Attachments

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
826
1
Home
erickg said:
Just wondering if anyone else thinks this is strange. I was just looking at Apple's refurb store (under the "looking for a great deal" section of Apple's online store) and noticed that there is an unusually large amount of iMacs, Powermacs and eMacs in the refurb store. I've never seen so many in the refurb store at the same time, so I'm just wondering if this could mean something? All three are due for updates and it would make sense that Apple would like to get these out the door at a higher price.

See the attached pdf.
Oh Boy...only 14 days to go to the 1 April. i hope we get updated iMac's and Powermacs...
 
Comment

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
4,158
26
Lincoln,UK
erickg said:
Just wondering if anyone else thinks this is strange. I was just looking at Apple's refurb store (under the "looking for a great deal" section of Apple's online store) and noticed that there is an unusually large amount of iMacs, Powermacs and eMacs in the refurb store. I've never seen so many in the refurb store at the same time, so I'm just wondering if this could mean something? All three are due for updates and it would make sense that Apple would like to get these out the door at a higher price.

See the attached pdf.


some of that list seems like a good deal - get in quick !

looks like they are going to upgrade most of apple's product line going on that sale sheet lol but maybe not

iMac and eMac are the fav's but i'm still holding out for a iBook upgrade and a needed PowerMac upgrade( WWDC most prob)
 
Comment

topgunn

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2004
1,462
1,342
Houston
erickg said:
Just wondering if anyone else thinks this is strange. I was just looking at Apple's refurb store (under the "looking for a great deal" section of Apple's online store) and noticed that there is an unusually large amount of iMacs, Powermacs and eMacs in the refurb store. I've never seen so many in the refurb store at the same time, so I'm just wondering if this could mean something? All three are due for updates and it would make sense that Apple would like to get these out the door at a higher price.

See the attached pdf.
This is normal.
 
Comment

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
3,968
3
Hmmm, there definitely weren't that many PowerMacs yesterday when I looked, and no or few eMacs (didn't look closely). The iMacs have been there for several weeks.
 
Comment

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
395
0
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a large amount of products being refurbished has anything to do with updates whatsoever. They're refurbished machines, which means repaired for whatever default, be it a factory problem or people sending machines back. Machines being repaired has nothing to do with update cycles. And I highly doubt apple would throw in stock machines into the refurb page just to sell more off. If so, it would make more sense to just have a sale on the regular stock.
 
Comment

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
5,490
1
Mac since 7.5
vtprinz said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a large amount of products being refurbished has anything to do with updates whatsoever. They're refurbished machines, which means repaired for whatever default, be it a factory problem or people sending machines back. Machines being repaired has nothing to do with update cycles. And I highly doubt apple would throw in stock machines into the refurb page just to sell more off. If so, it would make more sense to just have a sale on the regular stock.
I think you are correct. BTW, that sure is a sweet deal for the 17" PowerBook.
 
Comment

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
599
2
powermac666 said:
I think you are correct. BTW, that sure is a sweet deal for the 17" PowerBook.
Yeah, the refurb page really has nothing to do with any impending upgrades.... nice dream though...
 
Comment

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
395
0
Sunrunner said:
Yeah, the refurb page really has nothing to do with any impending upgrades.... nice dream though...
If there were a significant price drop for the refurbs, that would be a different story.

I think iMac refurbs went down in price a little recently?
 
Comment

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
2,175
2
Las Vegas, NV
vtprinz said:
Machines being repaired has nothing to do with update cycles.
True.

vtprinz said:
And I highly doubt apple would throw in stock machines into the refurb page just to sell more off. If so, it would make more sense to just have a sale on the regular stock.
It seems to me that Apple does both from time to time. Apple has a strict pricing policy for resellers, so it uses these methods to get rid of excess inventory. So there are three sources of refurbished items: customer returns (which may not all need to be repaired because not all are defective), excess inventory of current models and excess inventory of past models.
 
Comment

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,568
0
Definitely a good way to get an educational type discount for those that don't qualify. This refurb list is normal, its an ongoing thing that Apple offers.
 
Comment

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
Doesn't refurbished mean they are selling computers that have been repaired? Excess inventory is handled by way of rebates and promotional offers with other products or services.
 
Comment

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
17,892
1,477
Palookaville
Rod Rod said:
True.


It seems to me that Apple does both from time to time. Apple has a strict pricing policy for resellers, so it uses these methods to get rid of excess inventory. So there are three sources of refurbished items: customer returns (which may not all need to be repaired because not all are defective), excess inventory of current models and excess inventory of past models.
Yep, I think you are correct. The last "refurb" product I purchased from Apple (an iPod) came in complete retail packaging, shrink-wrapped. The product refresh came a couple of weeks later (drat!). I believe selling off new hardware as "refurbished" is one of the sneaky ways Apple has of clearing out excess inventory before a refresh. They might be good deals, but not as good as they look. Better to wait, if you can.
 
Comment

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
2,175
2
Las Vegas, NV
Lacero said:
Doesn't refurbished mean they are selling computers that have been repaired? Excess inventory is handled by way of rebates and promotional offers with other products or services.
The only products and services with rebates and promotional offers are printers, AppleCare Protection Plans and .mac, and of course the wireless keyboard and mouse has a special price ($99) at Apple Retail stores if you buy it with a new CPU. That's all I can recall at the moment . .. maybe there was an iSight special deal at some point in time though.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.