Is this normal battery drain? iPad Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bikemd, Sep 11, 2015.

1. bikemd macrumors newbie

I have an almost new (2 months only) iPad Air 2 Wifi 64gb. Ever since it was new, I thought the battery drain was very noticeable and worse than what I had just upgraded from (4th Gen iPad with Retina display) while using the device in a similar fashion.

A good example was this morning. The device was plugged in overnight and showed 100% charge at 9am. After using the iPad just to browse websites and update some apps, the battery was down to 80% one hour later at 10am. That's 1/5 of the battery capacity used in one hour. Extrapolated, this would mean the battery is only good for 5 hours! Isn't this battery supposed to last up to 10hrs?

Any thoughts? Is this normal performance? What has been the experience of others? Is this something an Apple Store would replace?

2. bikemd thread starter macrumors newbie

Just another update. It's 10:25 (1hr25min since the iPad was fully charged). I'm still using the iPad and the battery level is down to 71%!

3. xymay macrumors member

4. bikemd thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try the calibration. But this has been my experience with the iPad since it was brand new. Which is what surprised me.

5. Skyhawk21 macrumors regular

Bad battery my friend or you have background app eating away at cpu cycles!

On my Air 1 with IOS 8.2 charged and calibrated from shutdown after one percent back to 100 percent timed precisely and taken off charger when it "really" is 100 percent full.

I lose 1 percent from 100 to 99 percent with auto brightness on anywhere between 40 - 60 minutes. Down 9 more percent in about another hour - 2 hours depending on gaming or web browsing which then I am at 90 percent.

I have background refresh for all apps turned off, and fetch mode set for my email, icloud, yahoo, google contacts to refresh every hour. Got location always off, bluetooth always off, find my ipad off. I use dual channel wifi on the 2.4ghz band which uses less battery over time than the 5ghz band. Every time I am done with an app I religiously go to the task switcher and swipe it gone!

I do have Icloud auto signed in with imessage and facetime and the photo gallery that auto syncs whenever it does.

I believe I have a magic battery because the best usage time I ever got was 14 hours and 50 minutes with brightness on auto in dimmer environment and I play games 50-75 percent of the time and the other 25-50 percent I surf with safari using fast wifi and low latency to a high speed router with a high speed internet connection via rg6 cable modem.

Air 2 has three cores and an A8X processor with way faster gpu i believe with 8 cores. So if using IOS 8.X then it has to be an app that is maxing out the cpu and or gpu in background or foreground....

If you got IOS 9 recently the rumors from Apple is everything uses the metal API which means everything from when you power on the device is going to max out more of the cpu and gpu to include safari, home screen, basic apps and etc.

I got a mini 4 recently and think I just answered my own question/problem. The A8 cpu in mini 4 and newer gpu is always now suppose to be using metal API which was invented in older IOS versions just for games. IF its true IOS9 uses it for everything to include why safari in IOS9 is so much faster and smoother, maybe thats why I am barely breaking 10 hours usage time on the new device.

My mini 2 gets 13 hours using IOS 8.4.1!

6. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

My Air 2 can surf the web, while streaming HULU in pip, with location services on, and screen at 50%. I loose 7% per hour.