Is this normal battery life for the 6+?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ramio, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Ramio, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I charged my phone to 100% and unplugged it at 1:05am. I didn't start using it until 3:23am and now it's 10am and it's down to 9%. It was used the whole time constantly with about an hour and a half of music playing in the background. Does that sound normal for the 6+?. Any info would be appreciated?.

2. Symtex macrumors 6502a

This is not normal at all. What kind of application was running ? My battery last 3 days between charges and that's with over 16 hours of usage and 2days standby

3. Ramio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I was basically using safari most of the time and had mp3s playing in the background for about an hour and a half. Started using at 3:23am not 4:23am. I set the brightness at about 60%. Shall I take it to apple?

4. macduke Suspended

macduke

No but if you just got it sometimes the battery has to calibrate. I believe this can affect when it thinks it's at 100% vs. actually being there. My iPhone 6 Plus, through various tests, can last two days. Each time the battery lasted about 12.5 hours of usage, with about 1 day 18 hours of standby. This includes browsing the web, watching some YouTube videos, listening to some music, playing games (only a little bit). I also have several widgets installed which take up a small amount of my battery usage at the bottom, and apps like Dropbox that automatically upload photos in the background when I change locations. I usually keep my brightness between 33-50% because it strains my eyes when it's too bright.

5. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

The main question is what you were doing on the phone. And was the music playing on the speakers, through headphones, or through Bluetooth? With no music, I get up to maybe ten hours of usage on my 6 Plus, and that's with very low-power applications like Facebook, Safari, and Instagram. Your battery life wouldn't be that concerning if you were using energy-intensive apps or processes (eg. Google Maps).

6. Ramio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I've had it since the 19th. Shouldnt it have been calibrated by now?

----------

The music was playing through the speakers. I only used Apple maps for 5 minutes. I was pretty much using Safari the whole time.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I don't have a 6+ but looking at the usage that seems pretty normal.

1.5 hours of Music in the background.
    Browsing on Safari.
    and Minimal Map usage.

So 1.5 hours of usage, 6-7 hours of standby at 9% loss.

That equates to about 16 hours of usage and about 3 days of stand by.

8. macduke Suspended

macduke

Yeah it should be by now. Mine was within a few days. Do you have poor coverage in your area? That can also drain the battery faster. How high was the speaker volume? Speakers use a bit of power, as does streaming music in the background while doing other stuff in the foreground. If you did that for 7 hours straight then I could potentially see that draining the battery 90%. What is your screen brightness set to?

9. HenryDJP macrumors 603

OP have you tried to maximize battery life? The default settings will drain the battery immensely.
    One of the main culprits is Background App Refresh. Make sure it's turned off. Settings-General-Background App Refresh.

If you don't need any of the listed apps to constantly refresh with new content then switch the system off. Or you can pick and choose which ones you need to refresh.

Also if you're not using Bluetooth make sure it's switched to off. When it's on it will constantly look for another Bluetooth device to connect to.

10. Ramio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Thanks for all the input. I just got back from the Apple store. They tested the battery and said it was faulty. I brought the box and accessories but she made me keep them and just went in the back and came back with a brand new phone in a little white box. Is it refurbished or is it too early for that?

11. cababah macrumors 68000

Definitely too early for a refurb; you got a new one.