is this normal battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hatcher146, Aug 5, 2008.

1. hatcher146 macrumors 6502

I have been using safari and checked a couple emails for the past 30 minutes straight and using SMS. I dont have 3G, just edge. But I'm using wifi. I have dropped 30% to 40% in battery life in just the 30 minutes. This is not normal right? All I've been doing is safari and texting.

I've been thinking that my battery was bad. But I think I know now that it is.

Any input? Is my battery bad.. Or is this normal?

2. shinenjk macrumors regular

TERRIBLE turn that junk in right NOW.

3. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

4. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah.. There is no way the battery should drop 30% in just 30 minutes. And it wasn't even heavy usage. Just a few web pages.

5. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

First do a full 5 hour charge, use the phone until it requires charging again, charge fully again, then see how the battery is. Sounds like the power gauge isn't calibrated yet.

6. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've already done several of these. I'm pretty sure my battery sucks. It drains way too quickly.

7. shinenjk macrumors regular

If you've drained the battery then recharged it multiple times and it hasn't improved, I'd say turn it in. 30 minutes to 30% is ridiculous. I can pull off 5+ hrs of usage with 1 day+ stanby which seems to be the standard.

8. bboucher790 macrumors 68000

bboucher790

First, try reseting the iPhone. Hold the Sleep/Wake and Home button until you can turn off your phone. Turn it back on. Let it fully charge, and try again. Since you have calibrated it recently, it should be calibrated. If you still get horrible battery life, I would bring it in to the Apple store.

Just for testing purposes, turn off Bluetooth / Location Services / Push / Auto-Brightness / iTunes EQ.

Also, what kind of charger are you using? The wall charger / computer charger?

9. crazyyankeefan macrumors regular

it's a myth regarding wall and computer charge. there's no direct evidence proving that wall charge is better than computer.

10. bboucher790 macrumors 68000

bboucher790

It is not a myth.

If your computer goes to sleep, you won't get a full charge. It's happened to me. For testing purposes, it's always smart to use the wall charger.

11. Mercuric Oxide macrumors 6502

This is a normal battery

(actually, considering what I've seen on this forum, this is a godly battery)

20% remaining, using 3G, 2 hrs talk time, 2 hrs safari/mail/text, 3 hrs iPod.

Attached Files:

12. trunksu macrumors 6502

so with a full charge you went 30% after 30min. Replace your phone. heck i've been able to use the GPS 2 hours straight

13. stevey500 macrumors 6502

I'm thinking I have the same issue.. My batery life sucks my life away.. Only two weeks old, done several recharges, etc.. Even on the newest firmware! I think I'll run to the apple store today and see what's up....

14. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

yes, thats all it was. Within thirty minutes of browsing the web I went down 30%. 30%!!! That's horrible.

And today I was on the phone for three hours.. Maybe 50 text and 10 emails. After a full charge, I was at 40% after all that.

I think I need to return mine.

15. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Damn that's better than what I got. Mines dead after three hours. I was at 50% after 1.5 hours on the phone.