Is this normal? : Black levels / backlighting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BJB Productions, Dec 19, 2011.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

So, I'm not sure, but it seems this has progressively gotten worse since I got this machine.

Either way; that is not the main point. The main point: Man, the 2011 MBPs have crappy backlighting, or is this not normal?

Attached Files:

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

My black levels are better than that, and my backlighting is even.

Late 2011 15".

3. BJB Productions, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Here's a slightly better picture...

My specs:
    MacBookPro 8,2

LP154WP4-TLA1

Attached Files:

4. bill-p macrumors 65816

It's not normal. You have a pretty severe case of backlight bleeding.

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I've a not dissimilar problem. Or, rather, the inverse of the situation.

There are two dark lines going down my 17" MBP's panel, that go away once I increase the backlight brightness.

It's only annoying if I turn down the LCD backlighting below ~60%. At times I'd like the display darker but then I see the lines and spaz, so I put the lighting back to normal and whip out some sunglasses. :D

But I only see it on predominantly white screens, and usually I've got programs and web pages up so it's shrouded and not annoying.

If I turn the brightness up to a certain point, it goes away and the whole display looks even.

I don't have LCD backlight bleeding, however. That definitely IS abnormal for a MBP.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Looks normal to me. Taking photos of a black screen in the dark will usually end up like that.

Do you have any problems during actual use, i.e. do you see bright/dark areas when you watch videos or so? If it is notable during normal use, take it to apple and have them fix the screen.

7. theipadkid macrumors newbie

so u use ur macbook all the time with a blank screen?

8. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

exactly. what are we looking at? ITS ALL BLACK! and you'll never be able to tell with a camera phone in horrible lighting.

have a genius look at it, kind of a hard question to help with on here

9. bill-p macrumors 65816

If I work in Lightroom a lot (which has a dark theme) and watch videos a lot, then yes, most of the time, my screen is black save for the middle.

If the image being fixed in Lightroom is particularly dark, any backlight bleeding will throw off my color perception, so it is that bad.

10. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

It's good to view it in dark situations as it shows off the largest range of bleeding and differentiation between brightness.

You don't pay in the vicinity of £2000 for a machine that the top half of your image is going to be darker on YOUR machine, it could (and chances are will) lead you to make changes in projects (specifically video editing and photography) that you wouldn't normally because your screen is defective.

11. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

then get it replaced. if you notice something and it hinders your vision/work on projects what are you waiting for? i just cant tell by the pictures is all i was saying, but yes, if i noticed my screen was f'ed up id be the first in line for a new one