Is this normal? defective? (re: Thunderbolt Display)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Fynd, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Fynd macrumors 6502

I just received my refurbished thunderbolt display, and I'm ecstatic, however there appears to be several problems. The first one is one that appears to be common: there's a 1 inch line of slightly dimmer pixels just above the dock that spans the whole display. It's only really visible in fullscreen mode with a white background, so it's minor, but still an issue.

The bigger problem, though, is the backlight. I've attached images (50% brightness in dark room, max brightness in dark room, max brightness in a lit room) to show this off. I just want to know if this is standard for these displays, or if I should contact Apple and have a replacement sent out.

Attached Files:

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

My ATD has pretty uniform backlighting across the display - I definitely do not see the "light blooms" in the corners your pictures imply.

3. asdad123 macrumors regular

My Thunderbolt display does not have as much light leakage as yours but there is a bit.

4. brentsg macrumors 68030

It's always difficult to get a real sense of backlight problems from photos like this. It's hard to tell if it's severe or simply the camera's exposure making it look worse than it is.

5. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

mine has nothing like this. id return it or take it in for service

6. misterbig macrumors member

My TBD doesn't have any noticeable problems with the backlight, but if I were you I would take it in for a Genius to take a look. It's a pretty expensive monitor so I'd expect it not to have bleeding issues.

7. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

do you have an apple store near you? I know its a massive display but with things like this sometimes its good for them to see it in person

8. Fynd thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies. I understand that comment about the exposure, but trust me, it's brutal in person. Playing Day Z at night on this display is literally impossible, everything is just blown out and you can't see anything but a glowing grey/white. Playing it next to my friend who plays on my TV is embarrassing, after how much I paid.

I don't have an Apple store near me, so my only option would be to call and have a replacement sent out I assume.