is this normal? (disk usage on new macbook air)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by justywusty, Jul 25, 2011.

1. justywusty macrumors regular

justywusty

there's a mobile backup folder...can't see what's in it...but it's using up a ****-load of space on the drive (which is at a premium on the 128GB model, of course).

[​IMG]

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I think that is from when you plug an iOS device into your comp...yes it takes up a TON of space. The way to fix it is to relocate your iTunes library. Take the Music folder and copy it somewhere else. Then when you open iTunes opt-click it to start it, it will ask where your iTunes library is, point it to the new location. You will no longer have excessive useage from nothing. And all your music can now live somewhere other than the OS disk.

3. justywusty thread starter macrumors regular

justywusty

i don't have my iTunes stuff on this mac...it's on my other mac desktop...weird. and i did plug in my phone, but haven't synced it with this macbook since it's synced on my desktop.

not sure what it could be from then...

4. admanimal macrumors 68040

If you have Time Machine enabled on a laptop, the computer will "back up" stuff to the MobileBackups volume until your actual Time Machine disk is available, at which point it will consolidate the MobileBackups changes with your Time Machine backup. Of course this isn't useful if the drive crashes, but still works for accidental deletions or if you want to roll back to an earlier version of a file.

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

If you have ever synced your phone with that computer it would be there. When you backup an iPhone it goes to the mobilebackup folder and it can get HUGE!

6. Ganesha macrumors regular

It's Time Machine caching until you plug in your Time Machine drive.

7. justywusty thread starter macrumors regular

justywusty

but i just backed up to time machine 20 minutes ago....it shouldn't be that large.

and i haven't synced on this computer yet with my iPhone so it can't be that.

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Did you migrate this setup from a previous mac?

9. justywusty thread starter macrumors regular

justywusty

nope...brand new macbook air with lion already installed.

10. gentlefury macrumors 68030

well that grab looks like daisy disk, whats in the folder?

11. justywusty thread starter macrumors regular

justywusty

i was able to get into the folder....it's backups for time machine alright...i would have thought that once it did connect to the external drive, it would sync all of that data to the external drive instead of keeping them segregated like it is...example below...anything in purple appears to be in my local machine and the other is on the external drive.

[​IMG]

i read this here...looks like if you start to run out of space it will limit the local backups...and they also go away over time. seems like it should work.

http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/30.html