Is this normal display behaviour?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by piggy123, Jul 23, 2010.

1. piggy123 macrumors newbie

Hey all, I have a 2009 mac pro (2.66 octo) with a hd4870 and a gts120 installed, I have 4 Monitors hooked up - a 26inch 2 24 inch and a 19 inch. If I turn any of my displays off it moves all the windows to the active displays. It seems to do this regardless of screen saver/display asleep. So the result of this is that every time I want to turn my monitors off I turn them off left to right and when I get back every single window has been moved over to my 19 inch monitor on the right so I have to sit there and resize and move each window back to the appropriate display. Does anyone know of any way around this or am I stuck with never being able to turn my monitors off?

Thanks.

2. ProfDrLuigi macrumors member

Seems to be normal. The same here with 2 Monitors. Solution:

SwitchResX

3. piggy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I have heard of SwitchResX before but I didn't know it was capable of what I was looking for. I Will be sure to check it out when I get home from work.

4. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

My dual monitor setup never does this. If I turn off one of the monitors, the windows and icons stay where they are.

5. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I have 3 monitors hooked to a pair or 7300's in a 2006 Mac Pro, and on/off nothing changes, the computer still acts as if they are there. That's with the "soft off" button on the monitor, and also with the "hard off" switch on the back of the monitor.

6. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

I think you need to trash a display pref file.