Is this normal? (Display issue cMBP 15")

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Slayergramp, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Slayergramp macrumors newbie

So I bought a new MacBook pro for Christmas and here's the deal.

I bought a BTO cMBP 15", 2.6ghz, 8gb Ram, and Hi-Res Antiglare display. Bottom line, the machine is perfect, runs flawlessly, and there's nothing wrong with the display, except when the display is completely black, usually when a game is loading or something, along the left border of the screen, there are about 4 unevenly placed grayish blobs. It's completely un-noticeable when there's a color present.

I'll have pictures in about an hour, but just wondering if it's normal, and if it has anything to do with having an Antiglare display, which I think it does.

2. duervo, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013

duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

I believe that what you're describing is commonly referred to as "backlight bleed".

It's most commonly been found in some iPads, but can be present in some laptop displays as well. It's usually caused by uneven pressure between the display and its internal frame. Areas that have too much pressure applied to them are susceptible to back light bleeding as the liquid is thinner at those spots, meaning there's less of it there to block the backlight.

If it's bad enough to seriously annoy you, I would bring it in and have somebody at an Apple store look at it.

The first iPad2 I owned had pretty severe backlight bleed. It was replaced at an Apple store, no questions asked. They looked at it, pretty much said, "Yup, that's some pretty major backlight bleed", went in the back room and came out with a replacement unit. Total time it took was 10 min, from the moment I stepped inside, till the moment I walked out ... but ... since you're talking about a laptop, it'll take longer. They'll probably offer to replace the display, and may need to order a replacement one, so you may not get it fixed same day that you go in.