Is this normal for a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tpcollins, Sep 21, 2012.

1. tpcollins macrumors regular

I've had my Macbook Pro for a few days now and I am really impressed with the speed and the features it has. I've noticed every once in awhile it will make an audible "clunk" sound. Is this normal? Thanks.

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Technically what do you mean?
    We need more details then that.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

If you are referring to a "click" that is most likely the hard drive. I don't know what a "clunk" is but it sounds bad.

4. klover macrumors 6502a

Clicking is often hard drive movement. Clunking is often hard drive parking or fall sensor activation. My old 2010 MBP would make a hollow clunking noise when moved quickly - it was the hard drive parking the head in advance of a suspected fall.

5. Silmarien macrumors member

Do you mean when you move around the macbook you sometimes hear a click like metal expansion? Because I get it too on my new MBP and I totally play deaf and ignore it.

6. TDCorinthian macrumors newbie

Yea it's probably the HD. I've also an heard the occasional weird noise somewhere in the upper right part of my MBP, but it went away when I put in a second HD, so it was probably the optical drive. I've had no problems though before or since.

Maybe try popping off the back and see if it needs to be cleaned. I know its new but mine was too, but I was surprised how much dust was in there.

You could also do a Hardware Test (hold D before the gray start screen) just for peace of mind.