Is this normal for the camera flash to bleed over?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Whosaidit, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Whosaidit macrumors newbie

Every pic I take with my iphone 4S has this artifact when I use the flash. At first I thought it was the flash reflecting off of my Magpul case, so I cut out a bigger hole for the camera/flash, but the artifact remains. I assume this means that I have a defective phone, but I figured this'd be a good place to ask the question.

Example:

[​IMG]

2. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Is your case clear polycarb? If so, it's the case. I had to stop using my one case for my 4 because the flash would get washed out...it was clear polycarbonate on the back, and even with a large opening, the whole rear panel would light up when the flash was used.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

What happens without the case? Do you have any sort of skin or film on the back?

I got something like this on one pic where my finger was too close to the lens. When I moved my finger away, no problems. Not saying this is what happened, but do check if you're "holding it wrong"... :D

4. Whosaidit thread starter macrumors newbie

There's no skin or film and I was careful to be aware of where my thumb was. I'll keep messing with it. I didn't remove the case between shots on that one, which I should have.

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yup, try without the case, with your hand COMPLETELY away from the camera/flash. That really looks like reflection artifacting.

I have a lime green "iFrogz Soft Gloss" case on mine, and have no flash issues.

6. l3it3r macrumors regular

l3it3r

I've only found a small amount of cases that don't have this issue. If I know I need to shoot w/flash, I take the case off.. typically, I shy away from the flash altogether, but it's a known issue..

7. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Take the case completely off. Take a picture with the flash. View the picture. Picture good? goto "Throw case away". Picture bad? goto "Apple Genius store appointment".

Logic.. Who would have thought?

8. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

Could also be a ghost following you around, telling you to stop taking pictures of walls.