Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crafty Droid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
Hi guys,

I have a 2017 macbook air. I am not sure if this issue was present from the beginning or has just come to my notice. I was hoping some of you could help me out.

So I was using firefox with the dark theme and noticed that the left side of the screen seemed darker on the page where it shows your frequently visited links as soon as you open firefox. I pulled up a grey screen and i could faintly see some form of border going around the screen.

I understand that the air doesnt really have the best screen on the market and the viewing angles are terrible but I made a quick video and if you notice carefully you'll see a dark shadow going down the screen on both left and right about an inch inside the border of the display.

I used the grey image here in this test - https://www.eizo.be/monitor-test/ (Image no 7) you can press space bar to hide the text on the screen.

I have another image below. I have adjusted the contrast and sharpness to exaggerate the issue -
Now this is only noticeable on grey screens and I was hoping you guys could help me figure out if this is acceptable for the macbook air display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.