Is this normal in a 15" MBP??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigjnyc, Aug 16, 2009.

1. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I am usually a very light user but decided to get the 15" MBP anyway with 2.66 ghz 4gb of ram. Usually I never even hear my fans but today I was converting some small video files to M4V to watch them on my iphone using handbrake. They were just 22 minute episodes of seinfeld. So Handbrake is using up like 92-95% of my CPU processing and my fans are going crazy and being really loud.... anyone else experience this? I'm a little worried that my laptop is about to blow up right now lol.

Attached Files:

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

That's how it has always worked for me. It eats up most of the CPU to finish faster.

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

As long as those are in F and not C, you're fine.:p

HandBrake will push your processors. The fans appear to be working fine since they ramped up. Make sure you keep air space on the bottom and back for airflow.

4. hangtyte macrumors newbie

Video encoding in general puts a strain on computers. it is normal for the fans to turn on loud when the cpu begins to be under stress. don't worry because it's normal~~~ if it bothers you, listen to music and drown out the sound ^^

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Yes, Handbrake is an application that will, no matter how small the load, will make your fans rev up like a chainsaw. The only disadvantage that I have noticed about the Macbook Pro over a Dell XPS or a PC is the sound of the fans. The design of other computers allows the fans to run almost silently. However, the MBP's fans are deafening, and they ought to use something better then $10 fans in a $3000 laptop.

6. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

No kidding - the materials used don't justify the $2000+ price tag. However, Apple is lucky so many of us are suckers for their operating system...and design. Apple users are quite vain no matter how we try to manipulate our reasons for purchasing Apple products. :rolleyes:

7. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Cool guys thanks! The noise doesn't really bother me, I just wanted to make sure i wasn't hurting my computer or that it was out of the ordinary. I feel better now.

8. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

That's absolutely normal. Mine runs about that hot with HandBrake, I usually start up SMC fan control to help keep temps down. It doesn't matter how big the files are, that just means it takes longer. I converted a 15 minute file that took about six minutes and I've had DVDs take about two hours.

9. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Look at the CPU usage, 95% = heat = fans ramping up.