Is this normal in Aperture?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by coop, Dec 31, 2011.

1. coop macrumors member

I am having problems running Aperture on my 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011). I was wondering if this is normal for Aperture or if there is something wrong. I have a Canon T2i that I use to take pictures of my kids. Prior to that a Sony A100. Most of my photos are around 1.5 MP mark. I am sure there are people here that take bigger pictures.

Aperture: 3.2
    Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: AMD radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

Anyway, I never had Aperture on my MacBook Pro from 2007, so I have nothing to compare it to. iPhoto was sluggish on my new computer, so I moved to Aperture thinking my library had gotten too big. It takes forever for photos to load and sometimes they just come up blank. I am attaching 3 pictures of what I mean. This is after 5 to 10 minutes and believe me if I went back 20 minutes later they still would not be there.

Images that I duplicated to edit and only the original shows
    [​IMG]

Images that I renamed
    [​IMG]

Images that just don't show up
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

2. danielespejo macrumors newbie

I don't know what is wrong with your computer, but that is way too slow. I have a 5 year old iMac and MacBook pro that work much faster with larger photos. Maybe there is a hard drive issue(too full or just not working right?).

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Something is definitely wrong. My Aperture is really fast and doesn't have this.

I'd try running a check on your drive and see if something is maybe wrong. Type "Disk Utility" into Spotlight (upper right corner) and then run a Verify Disk, and a Permissions check.

4. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

You should add some more memory. I'd suggest 16 GB. Your computer will run much faster.

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

This is an unnecessary spending of money which probably won't fix the issue in question - it doesn't appear to be a hardware issue which is causing the problem. It's most likely a software thing - try repairing permissions as suggested above or repairing your Aperture library.

6. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Launch Aperture holding down Cmd+Alt, then run through each of the three repair options it offers you -- one of them should fix your problem. I've had it once in the past.

7. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

I just opened Aperture scrolled through 10 photos and it ate 2GB of real memory and 1.6 of virtual. If you've got that Safari and Mail open you've got no real memory left and you're working off the disk. While it might not help fix the problem the OP has directly it'll certainly make their computer run a lot faster, you can get 16GB for $50, it's the best money you can spend on your computer.

8. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Where i want that...?
    I open my full library in Aperture 3 and even with adjustments applying etc. it never jumps past 4GB ... I have even questioned Apple about this and their answer is "the more the better" .. well I have 8GB and that is MORE than enough for my needs apparently..I can even run a Windows 7 virtual machine, safari, mail etc. and still all goes smooth...

9. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

Try eBay I got mine from some guy selling second hand memory from old computers.

You can get new memory for $80.

10. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Ah, I misunderstood, I thought you were suggesting that as a solution to the OPs problem. More RAM is always good if you can afford it. Although ten photos and 2gb seems a bit extreme :/

11. coop thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone. I think it is my computer. I shut down and only opened aperture. It seems like I am not maxing on memory and the same problems I posted still are there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is not the only problem that my iMac has had, but the only one that is really bugging me. Apple has had me wipe the computer clean twice for other issues and reinstall my data and programs by hand vs using time machine. Some of the issues have disappeared, but not all.

By the way this is not my first mac. At work I used the first generation iMacs which seemed the same speed as this.

12. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

Did you try what jdavtz said ?

13. coop thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I did. I still see exactly the same thing. I also have run disk utility and repaired everything that way. I have wiped clean and installed twice (not since I posted, but since I bought the computer).

I am fairly competent on Macs. I grew up using them, our first Mac was the original and we have owned almost everything in-between (if you count parents, their office and my brother).

In case this was normal or something obvious I wanted to cover my bases before I showed it to Apple. Plus it is over an hour drive to my store and I have to take two little ones with me.

It does feel faster than my parents old G5 iMac. At least when online. I have not even installed CS3 on my new iMac. I have been too scared.

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

15. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

16. glennp macrumors member

Have you tried regenerating the thumbnails/previews? Select the project then pick generate thumbnails/previews from the Photo menu.