Is this normal? It takes forever to install programs...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by The General, Jul 21, 2008.

1. The General macrumors 601

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLkmjj0ytoI

There is a video I made, please watch it.

Is this normal? This is a 16GB iPhone 3G with 347 installed.

What should I do? I've tried restoring. Should I take this back to Apple? My girlfriends iPhone is exactly the same...

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

my iphone 3g does this also.

i dont think it's normal. but i don't think it's uncommon either.

3. TwiceNightly macrumors 6502

TwiceNightly

I get the same thing, seems to be fairly normal.

It takes a little while to install them when you download them and install them through iTunes too so I wouldn't have thought it was a problem with your phone?

4. The General thread starter macrumors 601

They shouldn't show programs installing quickly in the Guided Tour if this is the norm.

My mom's original iPhone installs programs instantly, which is what makes no sense to me. :confused:

5. Snacks macrumors newbie

Snacks

Same here, I have the original as well and it installs them right away. My 3G iPhone takes about as long as yours does. I'm hoping for a firmware update to correct this issue cause I hate seeing my original iphone operating smoother than my new 3G :mad: BTW, have you tried anything to correct the issue?

Snacks.

6. Snacks macrumors newbie

Snacks

Seems like I may have fixed it!
    I just did a "Erase All Content and Settings" waited the hour or so for it to complete. When it was done, the phone popped up on iTunes. I did not restore from old settings. I made a new phone name and carried on. At that point I just clicked restore so it would install the 2.0 firmware on it. When 2.0 was installed, iTunes asked to name my phone again, I had to make it a new name *again*, which I did.(I did not restore from old settings) Jumped on the app store and downloaded the facebook app, it downloaded and installed on my phone in under 20 secs. Glad to see it working like normal!!

Hope this helps you all...

Update:
    I noticed the more I downloaded and installed apps, the slower the install was. I have 10 apps now and the installing of the apps is nowhere near as fast as it was when I started with my first app. I also tried removing all the apps and going at it from scratch. When I downloaded my first app again, the install went really fast. Can anyone confirm this as well? If this is the case, the above process won't help you. I guess this is more of a firmware issue then anything else.