Is this normal? Macbook Pro Battery..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eyemacg5, Jul 28, 2008.

1. eyemacg5 macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

[​IMG]

It lasts a lot shorter amount of time now that a few months ago...
    Can I take it back and get a new battery?
    Is there a percentage that they consider a battery "broken"?

2. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Looks a bit duff to me. Give Applecare a call before your year runs out :)

3. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

The rule is if it's showing < 70% in under a year or 300 cycles they will give you a replacement.

So looks like you're getting a new battery. :cool:

4. matperk macrumors 6502

5. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Dont worry.... CoconutBattery is as reliable as a Dell running Vista!

See my reports for example!:

Attached Files:

6. 88888888 macrumors 6502a

7. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Mine is telling me that my current battery capacity is higher than the original battery capacity...

8. eyemacg5 thread starter macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

I guess, but I'm noticing it a lot its ridiculous how short the battery life is compared to the original battery life.

9. xxMacAttackxx macrumors member

xxMacAttackxx

Because you are under your one year, they will for sure replace the batter.. Also you still have time to get apple care! Always worth it imo.. Many people say its not until they actually have a problem...

10. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

The simplest yet most effective way to tell is: Apple Meu (in Menubar)|About this Mac|More info|Power... under Battery, check the condition..... if its good, you're all fine!:D

11. eyemacg5 thread starter macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

It says "Check Battery"

12. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Run to the Apple Store as fast as you can! You're completely legit to recieve a new battery free of cost (given that you're still under 12 months)

13. eyemacg5 thread starter macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

14. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Original battery capacity is a bit of a misnomer... it's what the battery is rated at according to the microchip inside. But the actual cells in the battery can come from the factory with more or less capacity.

So it saying your battery is above normal is a perfectly normal condition, be happy you have a very strong battery :)

15. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I noticed my battery capacity is now 94% of original, and several days ago it was 98%. I have been using the MBP normally - usually plugged in, but some of the time on battery. I don't always run it down to the limit, but have cycled it a couple of times all the way down, then recharged. My MBP is 4 months old. I'm concerned that it may be degrading faster than I would like it to. Can the battery be built back up by deep cycling it a few times?

Attached Files:

16. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

My battery dropped to 95% by 15 load cycles, and has vacillated between 94-95 ever since (now at 110+ cycles). It seems batteries may drop off a bit rapidly at first and then settle.

Calibrating won't literally build the battery back up, but it will sync the battery's processor more closely to its actual capacity (IOW, your readings will be more accurate).

17. aquajet macrumors 68020

No. Lithium type batteries don't suffer from memory effect. No conditioning is necessary, such as with NiCad types.

18. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

By conditioning you're not altering the chemistry, but you can increase the lifetime (or decrease it) because the microchip in the battery will be better calibrated to its actual capacity. If it is initially reading low, then reading more accurately high does in fact increase lifetime.

19. mrblu macrumors newbie

This is so not true! My MBP battery showed as good, 65 cycles on a nine month old battery, but the computer shut off - no warning, no saves - after 23 minutes of unplugged use from a full charge! Apple gave me a new battery with no questions asked. My only complaint is that it is another Sony battery with a similar serial number to the failed one. So I live in fear of another failure!

All of you with bad batteries should take them back for new ones! That's what a warranty is for!

Peace!

mrblu

20. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

update:

Well, a couple of days ago I just ran my MBP on battery during the day, and at home used it until it hit 5% charged, and shut it down. The next morning I reconnected the power supply and charged it back all the way. I just checked the status, and it seems back to 99% capacity. I'm happy. :)

Attached Files: