Is this normal MBP Behaviour

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macaroooon, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Macaroooon macrumors 6502

I have a 2 month old, 2012 13" MBP and I'm becoming more and more disappointed with it.

It can get very hot when doing normal things like browsing the internet, or watching youtube - sometimes I have to take it off my lap.

And it's also very slow at times, things take a while to load etc, I'm suprised considering my 5 year old computer can be faster than it sometimes.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Open Activity Monitor and look if there are any runaway processes.
    Click to Show All Processes!!!

3. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

Yeah, sometimes things crash. (My) Chrome tends to be very unstable, often going nuts in the background without me noticing anything until the fan roars and the mouse jumps.

I also thought that my Mac might be faulty but it really is just chrome. I close the tabs and everything is super fluid again. That can happen with a lot of programs, though, even something as unlikely as TextEdit.

The activity monitor shows what process crashed or sucks away too much processing power and if you think that's unreasonable, (force) close the app.

4. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Have done - but I'm not sure what I should be looking for!

5. TheDogsNutts macrumors newbie

TheDogsNutts

i have one to that gets hot doing simple things, maybe its the norm? tell you what thou it looks GOOD...:D

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Post a screenshot, if you have to scroll take another screenshot, or click on CPU tab so that all processes which are using resources show on top.

Command-Shift-4 then click the window, it will take the screenshot.

7. simsaladimbamba

Adobe Flash Player is CPU intensive, thus more power is needed to feed the CPU, which results in higher temperatures and often higher fan speed(s) on mobile computers. As more power is used due to Flash, the battery life of mobile computers is shortened by a good bit.
    To check, if Adobe Flash Player is responsible for less battery time or the heat, go to Applications / Utilities / Activity Monitor and select to show ALL PROCESSES and sort by CPU.

There are a variety of Flash blockers for all the four major browsers available.
    A Flash blocker does what it says, it blocks Flash content, but via a click on the marked Flash object, the Flash object can be activated and used.

• Safari: ClickToFlash, for which there is an extension and a plug-in; CTF allows you to download YouTube and other kinds of MPEG-4 encoded video too.
    • Opera: has a built-in Flash blocker
    • Firefox: Flashblock is an add-on to block Flash
    • Chrome: FlashBlock is an extension to block Flash

Also make sure to have the latest Adobe Flash Player version running, you can get it here.​

8. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

The CPU's kept changing which was weird.

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Nothing wrong here.

These are background processes and these values do change.

If your Mac gets hot check again in Activity monitor.

Also, when outside temperature is higher the mac gets warmer too, I am in a hot climate and I never put my Laptop on my Lap, too warm/hot to bear.

And the above poster (simsaladimbamba) gave some good advice on flash.

10. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, okay, thank you.

Why do you think it's being so slow then? Don't get me wrong, some of the time it works fine, but then suddenly it will go really slow and things might quit and I have to be honest, I'm a little disappointed about this having paid almost £1000 for my laptop.

11. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

How much RAM you have, when does this happen, for instance, if you have a lot of tabs open in safari with a lot of flash content it will eat your RAM and then it starts to write it to the VM pagefiles.

What to do, if it gets slow, check Activity if any process user a lot of processor time, and also look if there are a lot of pageouts, also in Activity Monitor.

Edit: I think I know, I looked at your screenshot it's 4GB

12. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

I think it is 4GB, it's what it came with. It usually happens if say I have itunes in the background, and maybe am on FB, Twitter. It's inconsistent.

13. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Keep an eye on it, I also think Mountain Lion is not that great and still has quite a few bugs in it.

BTW, I saw that you had zero pageouts at the moment, when it gets hot check the processes and pageouts, if these are normal then 'nothing' is wrong.

Also, it is aluminium which feels more uncomfortable with heat then plastic.

14. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You really need to post an activity monitor shot from while it is happening or shortly after so we can read anything from it.
    The one you posted suggests that you should have any problems whatsoever as you barely need any ressources at all.

15. xAgustinx macrumors regular

xAgustinx

I had the same problem, I think is Mountain Lion, because in Lion my mac was faster.

I added more ram and it feels better, but still, I'm disappointed that a 2012 machine is so slow.

I use click to flash and as the op, I only use programs that shouldn't slow the machine (safari, firefox, chrome, word, power point, excell, itunes, and not at the same time).