Is This Normal? Messenger mac.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macbookairhelp, Feb 15, 2009.

1. macbookairhelp macrumors member

Hello Everyone,
    I am back after months without problems with a problem. I have had my MBA for like 10 months and I use Mac Messenger to talk with my friends. We use display pictures and love to use custom emotocons. BUt it has come to my attention that not all custom emoticons work. I have checked the 'use custom emoticons' button or whatever it says but i still can't see most of them! The friends I normally chat with most use Windows and they can see all mine but I can;t see half of theirs. I also can't see most display pictures. I can see the ocasional but it is rare. I have tried aMsn and i just couldn't figure it out. I tried Adium and I just didn't like it. I do use it to read my offline messages but that's all. So Overall my question(S) are:
    -Is it normal not to see custom emoticons? If not then is there something I am doing wrong?
    -same for the display pics.
    Please note that I am good with electronics but not the really technical stuff..
    -Please and thanks guys!

2. Trip.Tucker Guest

Give aMSN a try: http://www.amsn-project.net/

It handles MSN quirks so much better than the Microsoft supplied MSN for Mac. Icons included.

3. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

4. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

5. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

He did try adium and doesnt like it.
    Though, adium is one of the nicest clients for msn. amsn is ugly and slugish.. And doesnt even work for some people.

6. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

True. Most people don't like it but they don't customize it. Adium is full customizable. The only thing you need it time to search their site and then it's perfect.;)

7. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I agree, thought it is missing some nice things like webcam and voice support.

8. TheAngusBurger macrumors member

But it does have Custom Emoticon support.

9. macbookairhelp thread starter macrumors member

There have been some times on Adium that not all custom emotocons come up as well.
    I will try aMsn again.
    Thanks everyone.
    Oh and BTW,
    He is a she:)

10. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Custom emoticons on Adium doesn't show up in msn users when i use them. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Sorry macbookairhelp :D

11. GR33NIE macrumors 6502

I've gone back to using aMSN again, loads of problems with Messenger for Mac! :(