Is this normal? (new MBP question)

Shadow Puppets

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2016
Bought a 2017 MBP TB last night... the maxed out model.

Only had about 5 mins this morning before I went to work to open the box and power it on for the first time. In the past, and according to the manual, opening the lid for the first time should power on the unit. That didn't happen for me, and pressing the power button didn't switch it on either. Didn't have time to connect the charger.

My question is, is it normal for a new MBP to arrive with no charge whatsoever? Or is this already signs of a problem?

joefoong79

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2017
normal. put the charger in and press start will get you where you want.if not sent it back for the cash return. simple

yongtrading

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2017
New York
I got mine about a week ago and it came with like 80% of battery. If it's working fine after charging it, I think it will be fine. or you can just return it and order another one.

joefoong79

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2017
Really? From reading elsewhere it is very uncommon to have a brand new product arrive without charge.
is a machine. it will malfunction sometimes. just charge it and it will be alright. my 2016 did the same, after connecting charger it will boot up and I been using it 6 months nothing wrong and work like a charm. less worry and just enjoy using it. treat it as a machine, not as a baby.