Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
We just bought our family's first Mac, a refurbished 21.5" iMac. We ordered it on Wednesday and it shipped two hours after it was ordered. We selected the standard fedex ground shipping. According to fedex, it is supposed to be delivered to my home in northern Indiana on Tuesday. However, the tracking hasn't updated since before dawn on Thursday, when it was scanned as "in transit" in Reno. Is this lack of activity normal? Is it likely that we'll still get it by Tuesday? I'm very anxious to receive it, but the lack of activity is making me very nervous.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
It is not completely abnormal
The weekend and the holiday on Monday will skew things a bit
You are likely to see some retro updates late Monday night

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Normal for fedex, yes. They're better than USPS at tracking, but marginally. What you want to watch out for are things like 'delivery exceptions' and other delays. Also, if in doubt, you can call them. I had a delivery issue with them yesterday and I must say their phone support was very good. I was surprised.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
We just bought our family's first Mac, a refurbished 21.5" iMac. We ordered it on Wednesday and it shipped two hours after it was ordered. We selected the standard fedex ground shipping. According to fedex, it is supposed to be delivered to my home in northern Indiana on Tuesday. However, the tracking hasn't updated since before dawn on Thursday, when it was scanned as "in transit" in Reno. Is this lack of activity normal? Is it likely that we'll still get it by Tuesday? I'm very anxious to receive it, but the lack of activity is making me very nervous.

I have had this happen. It is unusual but sometimes their system gets so jammed that the updates are a bit behind. It might also be that it got hung up in Reno because of the bad weather and so many road problems. If it is on a truck between Reno and Wherever then there is nothing to update. I would give FedEx a call if necessary.

BTW: Where in Indiana? I moved away from Michigan City about a year and a half ago.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
It's normal. Happened to me several times.

FexEx doesn't update anything that is on a freight truck and in transit. And they don't update on week-ends.

The status is only updated when the actual item is scanned. It can't be scanned while on a freight truck on the highway.

That item probably went from Reno straight through to St. Louis or even K.C.

Reno is a huge HUB.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Yes it's normal. I'm the same way. When I order something - as my mom would say - I have no sittin' pants.

If you're really concerned call FedEx. You have the tracking number.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Yes, it's normal. Also remember that there's usually little to no activity on weekends.

I shipped something FedEx from St. Louis to Portland, Oregon a few months ago, and there were no scans along the way. It left St. Louis and was in transit and showed up in Portland a few days later. I find it hard to believe it didn't change trucks at least once along the way. UPS on the other hand scans it every time it arrives and leaves a facility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.