Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teknobrat2003

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
When I put my ear to the Macbook Pro 13 I constantly hear the fan running (even when sitting idle no applications open). When I'm sitting up I can't really hear it. Just wondering if it's normal since it's always running. Is this a normal noise for Macbook Pros 2011 to make? Are you guys hearing this on yours when you put your ear to the case? I'm just concerned that it's constantly running even at a low noise level when I put my ears to it.

Matrinix

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
When I put my ear to the Macbook Pro 13 I constantly hear the fan running (even when sitting idle no applications open). When I'm sitting up I can't really hear it. Just wondering if it's normal since it's always running. Is this a normal noise for Macbook Pros 2011 to make? Are you guys hearing this on yours when you put your ear to the case? I'm just concerned that it's constantly running even at a low noise level when I put my ears to it.

This is normal. If it didn't stay constantly running, then it would turn off, then once it got really hot from not running, it would turn on at high RPMs and become distracting.

SirStrumalot

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I haven't put my ear to the MBP, but if I did, I'm pretty sure I'd hear the fan(s). The fans are always running, although not necessarily at full speed. As long as you don't hear it when sitting up, it's nothing to worry about.

I would also recommend getting a widget like iStat to help you monitor your fans and a whole bunch of other stuff. Very useful.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Yes, it's perfectly normal for the fan to run constantly. You're probably actually hearing the HDD, which also has to run constantly, and is louder than the fan is at idle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.