is this normal? power runs out while closed/sleeping?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maeglutz, Jan 25, 2010.

1. maeglutz macrumors member

i have a 2 week old macbook (refurb'd). if i snap my macbook shut when it is at, say, 70% full battery and then open it back up like 8 hrs later, the power is at 0 (it doesn't come out of sleep unless i plug it back into the power).

are my settings messed up or what?

2. maeglutz thread starter macrumors member

help? is there somethign wrong with my macbook?

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Your MacBook is still running even when sleeping so it's perfectly normal for the battery to drain while sleeping.

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

It doesn't sound normal that the battery level would drop that fast. Are you sure that it's sleeping during the 8 hrs? When you open it and plug it in, do you then have to depress the power button to get it to turn on? Is it a fresh boot or is it coming out of hibernation mode?

Since you have a warranty associated with your recent purchase, you may want to have this matter looked at by an Apple Genius by making an appointment at a store or you could call Apple for phone support.

In order to have control over my closed lid sleep, I use an app called SmartSleep and I've never had a problem.

5. maeglutz thread starter macrumors member

it comes out of hibernation.
    just annoyed because my old powerbook battery level would stay the same if i let it sleep for like 2 days

6. quadG5guy macrumors member

Yes it should sleep for several days before the battery runs down. If it's running out after 8 hours, it may not be actually going to sleep. Check your settings and make sure it is set to sleep when you close the lid. After that, take it to an apple store genius. If it's a new machine, it's still covered under warranty. They will fix it for you.

7. mdgolom macrumors 6502

Something doesn't sound right. I regularly just close my 13" MBP when I leave work and don't touch it until the next morning and it doesn't use that much of the battery.

I would look at see if something is running that prevents it from going to sleep while it's closed.

8. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

The only time my 12" PB would drain the battery in sleep was with a bad battery. When they were in good condition, it would probably take some %age off but not drain completely.

9. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Do you have a mouse/keyboard plugged in? It could be in clamshell mode. My MacBook will wake up throughout the day if I leave the mouse connected (via USB). I believe Apple says bluetooth peripherals can make it enter into that mode as well.

10. gonewestcoast macrumors member

I'm betting it's not set to sleep when the lid is closed, as others have said.

11. maeglutz thread starter macrumors member

i dont have any peripherals plugged in when i close it... how can i check if it's really going to sleep or not?