Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rnksan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Is this normal?

1 - When I play music via the computer speakers and I plug in my headphones, the audio continues to come through the computer speakers for a few seconds after plugging in the headphones.

On my white 2007 macbook, the change was instantaneous, i.e. the very second I put in the headphones, the audio would stop coming out of the computer speakers.

Try plugging in headphones and immediately after pressing the volume up key - when I do this, I can still hear the volume up key via the computer speakers during the next seven-nine presses (depending on how fast you press) before the sound actually comes through the headphones

Originally I thought the audio switch delay was from a defective computer, but but I'm on my second rMBP (first was replaced due to ghosting) and both had this same audio delay.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I wonder if the older ones had a mechanical switch in the headphone jack that would cut off the speaker directly while the rMBP seems to be using a software enabled switch instead.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I wonder if the older ones had a mechanical switch in the headphone jack that would cut off the speaker directly while the rMBP seems to be using a software enabled switch instead.

That's my guess. The mechanical switch caused problems for some people when it would get stuck and the computer wouldn't play audio through the speakers.

Charlaux

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2012
Is this normal?

1 - When I play music via the computer speakers and I plug in my headphones, the audio continues to come through the computer speakers for a few seconds after plugging in the headphones.

On my white 2007 macbook, the change was instantaneous, i.e. the very second I put in the headphones, the audio would stop coming out of the computer speakers.

Try plugging in headphones and immediately after pressing the volume up key - when I do this, I can still hear the volume up key via the computer speakers during the next seven-nine presses (depending on how fast you press) before the sound actually comes through the headphones

Originally I thought the audio switch delay was from a defective computer, but but I'm on my second rMBP (first was replaced due to ghosting) and both had this same audio delay.

I own a macbook pro retina and I have the same problem with you so I think It might be at all computers :))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.