Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MMM.PWR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Milwaukee
Few questions. Just bought my iPad 3.

-First thing I noticed is that the screen is warmer than the iPad 2's. It seems uniform enough though. Is this normal?

-See picture:

ipadscreen3.jpg

there's some bleeding on the left, and a strong purple on the top left ish. hard to see in the picture. Is this normal for these iPads?

I spent 1k on this so I want it to be perfect..

Thanks

jlinear

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2012
No. It is not "normal" to be complaining about a dark, empty iPad screen. Seems to me you are searching mightily to find something wrong. If that is the worst thing you can find I suspect your iPad is just fine.

MMM.PWR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Milwaukee
the picture isn't very good/accurate. the top is purple. and there's strong bleeding. the ipad 2 I have does not have this.

thanks for your "input"

Liquidizer

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
I own an iPad 3 and I do not have any bleeding or purple on my screen. A lot of people on this forum have had similar issues though, if it is very bad then I would recommend getting a replacement from Apple - since you spent a lot of money on it, it's only fair! :)

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
I would take it back for a replacement. It's inconsistent and inaccurate screen colouring and is unacceptable for a product of that price. They will understand this. I've had a Macbook Pro screen replacement before due to the same reason, though for me it is essential to have a consistent and accurate screen for my line of work.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I have an iPad [3] and haven't noticed any of those things, but I also haven't gone looking for them either.
If you feel it's an issue, I'd recommend taking it into the Apple Store and having them look at it and perhaps see about a replacement.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
op i have seen plenty ipads look like that and i'm sure if you swapped it out you will have a 50/50 chance of getting a replacement with even more bleed.

MMM.PWR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Milwaukee
Thanks to all for the replies. I don't mind the light bleed much at all, I know it can be worse - but it's somewhat unfortunate that the iPad 2 we have doesn't have as pronounced a light bleed.

What does bother me is the top third has a purple ish hue to it.. will report back tomorrow.

MMM.PWR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Milwaukee
Just to update this one last time: The new iPad I got today is A LOT better. little light bleed, not enough to bother me and it seems it's all normal anyway. However the screen on the other hand.. HUGE difference from the old one, which was too warm for my taste. This one matches the iPhone 4's screen.

Done. :)

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
just bought this today, new at the Wilmington, DE Apple Store:

1) chip in aluminum shell
2) light bleed around bottom edge and left edge
3) any slight deviation from a dead-on viewing angle results in pink tint blanketing the screen
4) games are lagging, stuttering, and unplayable (Metal Storm skips and freezes all over the place)

Attachments

• photo 3 (2).JPG
    photo 3 (2).JPG
    461.3 KB · Views: 90
  • ipad 3 screen bottom edge - light bleed.JPG
    ipad 3 screen bottom edge - light bleed.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.