Is this normal time machine behaviour?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnnnw, Apr 29, 2013.

1. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

[​IMG]

RIGHT after this point the backup stops and says finishing. Why is not doing the whole 75GB's? It's only backing up 43GB's. Why's is say the backup is going to be 75?

Should I be worried that not everything is being backed up

I'm trying to prepare everything for my new SSD install and decided besides cloning that this was the best way to restore my files and applications.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

What happens if you leave it for an hour so that it runs again? Does it back up the missing ~30 GB or just a few MB?

I have trouble trusting Time Machine's figures; I have "System Files and Applications" (19.52 GB) excluded from my backup, yet my Applications folder alone is 51.21 GB. Somehow I doubt that my System Files total -31.69 GB...

3. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

It's rather concerning because I'm about to replace the HDD with an SSD and I don't want stuff to be missing when I select the "Restore from Time Machine Backup"

The girl on the phone at Apple support said to manually look through the "Enter Time Machine" and see if everythings there :eek:

I can't exactly look through all the application files and multiple folders.

When I click back up again it runs for like 2 seconds and says its done because nothing has changed. For some reason it's saying the size is 75 and only doing 43 ish. I formatted the external drive twice to re run the back up and it does the same thing everytime.

4. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Can anyone comment on what their actual backup size vs what the program estimates?

I need to know if this is normal before I do the ssd swap

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Have you looked in the options to make sure everything in checked?

6. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Yes the only thing that shows as excluded is the actual previous backup.

[​IMG]

Do you see what I mean though? The backup is 43GB's and the estimated full size is 74GB.

Can you guys check your time machine options and investigate? (if you use it)

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That could be confusing it; there is no need to exclude the backup drive itself.

8. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I'd like to help but I don't have any TM backups recently created. TM backups grow over time as the system doesn't often throw things away. The most recent has been backing up for a month and the finder is showing 250GB actual, 150GB is the TM estimate for a full backup.

If you have an enclosure to put the old drive in, I think migrating from the old drive (in its enclosure) to the new internal SSD may be straight forward.

9. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I watched a few youtube videos and everyone elses had that same thing once they had done at least one backup. It's something like that. It doesn't let you get rid of it.

I couldn't find an answer to the other thing though. My best guess if that the TM file is compressed when it's put onto the external. The estimated is the actual size... maybe.

----------

Do you mean cloning? I don't really like cloning drives so I'm trying to find the best way to do it by installing ML fresh but also the easiest to put everyone onto the SSD besides cloning.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Ah, OK. I don't use an external drive for backups (I use my network) so there's no drive listed for me. I didn't realise that showing the drive was normal :)

11. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Time Capsule?

Can't find the answer so looks as if I'm going to just go ahead with the SSD install tomorrow and cross my fingers everything is restored when I restore from the time machine backup.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well, if you must know :)p), I started with an AirPort Extreme, then went to Windows Home Server, and now have Mountain Lion Server hack-installed on my WHS box :)

13. bluereef macrumors member

Tm

There are 2 different time machine back up options. Option 1 which I think is the one your using is a continued backup. If you have your energy saver enable and your computer sleeps then the back up would stop and continue when you un sleep it per se.

Option 2 is to turn off the time machine preference and just right click the time machine backup icon in the finder and select BACKUP NOW. This will back your entire HD up to your selected location. If you are having trouble deleting a back up use the ONYX program that will erase the backup file when you send it to the trash bin.

I hope what I am saying correct as I use option 2 and have no problems

14. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I think I need to use the Time Machine way to be able to restore in the Mac Utilities page after starting up with the new SSD. If I just backup raw files it won't be able to use the utility I don't think.

15. bluereef macrumors member

Restore

If you change out your HD when restart press Command +R and it gives you the option of restoring a TM backup using Option 2.

16. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

AppleCare personnel that you spoke to should have had you try this:

You can verify the backup image by holding down Option key while clicking on the Time Machine menu bar icon, and then clicking on "Verify Backup".

If anything wrong is detected with your backup, Time Machine will prompt you to that affect, and tell you that it needs to start a new backup, giving you the option to do it now, or later.