Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
Ok so just wandering if this is normal or not. There are a couple of things. one thing is that the way movies are shoot for movie theaters, does anyone else notice jaggity video? and literally notice the flickering of the screen? It drives me crazy that 24 frame a sec stuff. Also about CRT monitors I can notice them flickering even when they are set as high as 100hrz does this bother anyone else? and last but not least are humans supposed to be able to see the IR light emitted from remotes such as the remote that comes with the apple computers? because in a completely dark room I CAN see the light that gets emitted it is dim but I can see it. do any of these things drive you crazy?

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
I was more just wondering if frame rates bother other people? I mean i personally think all video should be shoot and played back at about 60fps because even at 30 fps I still notice jittering in the video ( and no its not my tv or my eyes ) but at 60fps video looks pretty darn smooth to me.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
I notice CRT flickering if i look at it through my peripheral vision. Film at 24p looks better to me. 60 is smooth, but it doesn't have that slightly slower cinematic feel. I CAN tell when someone has shot something at 24 or 30 fps and slowed it down in post, though. It stutters all the way.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I was more just wondering if frame rates bother other people? I mean i personally think all video should be shoot and played back at about 60fps because even at 30 fps I still notice jittering in the video ( and no its not my tv or my eyes ) but at 60fps video looks pretty darn smooth to me.

For video games you need 60 fps because they lack what is call motion blur. TV moves they have have motion blur so our brains fill in the gaps. Motion blur is exactly what it sounds like. It is the extra movement pick up while the film so to speak is exposed. A good example is take a digital camara in night mode has take a shot at a burning fire or a car with it lights on driving down the street. You will see a long line of of the lights because it pick it up during that entire trip.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
For video games you need 60 fps because they lack what is call motion blur. TV moves they have have motion blur so our brains fill in the gaps. Motion blur is exactly what it sounds like. It is the extra movement pick up while the film so to speak is exposed. A good example is take a digital camara in night mode has take a shot at a burning fire or a car with it lights on driving down the street. You will see a long line of of the lights because it pick it up during that entire trip.

This is also why the intro to Saving Private Ryan feels different than the rest of the movie. They shot it with a really high shutter speed but still at 24 frames per second, therefore eliminating any motion blur from one frame to the next. This absence of transitional motion creates the snappy visual to that scene.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.