Is this normal watch/iPhone behavior?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ashenfang, Feb 17, 2016.

1. ashenfang macrumors member

I just received the Apple Watch Sport over the weekend so fairly new to all of this. I couldn't find anything online that resembled the "issue" I am having. So I ask, is this normal behavior?

If my watch is on my wrist, the phone is locked, and I receive a notification (doesn't matter if it's a text, Facebook, Twitter ect), both of my devices receive the notification. However, the watch will light up and vibrate/alert but the phone does not. So essentially, I get a text, but the phone does not "screen wake" like it normally would. If I press the home button, I can see the text on the lock screen but the only audible/vibrate alert I get is through the watch.

I figured that the watch AND the phone would "screen wake" and issue an alert.

Now if the watch is not on my wrist, both devices receive the alert but my phone returns to normal "screen wake and alert" behavior.

Sometimes I don't feel/see my watch when a notification comes in so a secondary cue from the phone would be nice.

I will add that on phone calls however, the phone and the watch ring and both screens display caller information. Seems this issue desribed is only with notifications.

2. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Yes, this is totally normal. When you are wearing the watch, the watch is the primary notification device. And as you saw, the exception is a phone call, which rings on every device you own.

3. ashenfang thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks for the reply. I figured as much. Although it would be nice to have an option that still allowed the iPhone to wake/vibrate as well. Thanks!

4. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

If you take your watch off your wrist, it will detect that it was removed and the notifications will go back to your phome

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I too would like the option to have all my notification sounds come from my iPhone and not be silenced by the watch.